What is GPS?

Can anyone have some idea about GPS (Global positioning System) ?😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    GPS is global positioning system - which tracks your current location on a map. If you search online for GPS, you'll find plenty of information. If you have specific question about GPS or Usage, feel free to ask on CE Forums.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    GPS works on which technique ?
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    how it works?????..............@biggi
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    You care about answer and not who gives it 😉 I am giving it
    the GPS could be either network based or mobile based. As i understand it its static or real time.
    GPS can be of variable types, have you heard about static maps? The satellite maps are fed into the system or the real time location co-ordinates could be calculated as well.For Mobile based calculations , the BS can refer to a positioning server which stores details ( say templates ) of locations and matches them with what it receives from the mobile. ,- your mobile position is calculated with the sepcific BS its communicating with as and in what base station trasmission sector the communication is happeening in. this process becomes more precise if you have more than 2 say 3 BS trying to locate the mobile. Other Methods generally include, estimate time of arrival , or recieved signal strenght or estimated time difference of arrival or for that matter angle of arrival of the signal from the mobile station.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Durga,

I don't have any problem who is giving the answer.
    I have basic idea of how its works but i want its working circuit diagram with explanation......
    Cause I have worked small GPS circuits but they didn't worked.
    So I used used to burnt them all...
    So I want a working circuit diagram with explanation..

IF YOU HAVE ANY PLEASE PROVIDE IT TO ME

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Vipul
    Nopes I don't think I can help you with that
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    ok durga...
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @vipul- Why don't you search online for the internal circut diagram of a GPS reciever. You will get all that you need.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey shreya,
    I've searched for that.
    AND I found 2 circuits.But they didn't worked.

SO IN ANGER I BURN THE CIRCUIT.
    Thats why I asked for any working circuits.

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @d_vipul,
    never stop in two. Never let anger get over your deeds. Be a champ dear friend, go search for more reliable circuits, seek help of some great electronics guru in your neighborhood. Try to learn from your past experiences. Remake those two circuits, try to figure out what's wrong with it. Please do it yourself as much as possible. Try it and expose yourself to a eureka moment, if you succeed.
    Just a friend's advice vipul.
    Thank you.
  • Wuebbs007
    Wuebbs007
    A GPS is a system that uses satillites to triangulate your position and direction to a mere three feet accuracy
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    @wuebbs007 :
    Can you please elaborate your point of direction ?
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @rishi-this should help you it is an amazing concept.I wanted to explain it myself but I won't be able thorough.....#-Link-Snipped-#
  • liveaspankaj
    liveaspankaj
    GPS Device receives signals, time and location information from satellites. It requires atleast 3 satellite for 3D location and 2 satellites for 2D location (i.e. on ground). We have GPS in mobiles and different Navigation Gadgets. You can even find GPS Modules that can be interfaced to microcontrollers to get the current location of the device, eg. tracking vechiles, tracking goods etc.

Keep Smiling
    Pankaj

• Reya
    Reya
    hi can we use GPS to find out the location where my friend currently is?
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    I think locating some other GPS receiver is very common if you have access to the satellites i.e they provide such a system.Also if it is a friend it obviously have permission to locate the position of the GPS reeiver. But if the GPS receiver is indeed meant for that, then I don't think security & all is a big concern.This should throw some light.....#-Link-Snipped-#
  • liveaspankaj
    liveaspankaj
    yes this is possible.

GPS can receive information of its location from satellites. In your case your friend should have a GPS. For you to know this information has to be transmitted to you by some means eg. he may tell you his co-ordinates, or this can be sent to you using GPRS/EDGE/3G via internet services.

One such service is Google Latitude. If you and your friend has a mobile with GPS and are logged in to Google Latitude you both can see each other on Google Maps on your mobiles. You can download Google Maps from maps.google.com on your cell.

--
    Keep Smiling : -)
    Pankaj

• waleedelsafoury
    waleedelsafoury
    he Global Positioning System (GPS) is a space-based global navigation satellite system that provides reliable location and time information in all weather and at all times and anywhere on or near the Earth when and where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites. It is maintained by the United States government and is freely accessible by anyone with a GPS receiver.
    GPS was created and realized by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and was originally run with 24 satellites. It was established in 1973 to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems

for more info. go to this link:

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    is some of the mobile trackers are based on GPS ?
    and tracing of ip address is also based on GPS ?
  • waleedelsafoury
    waleedelsafoury
    The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a space-based global navigation satellite system that provides reliable location and time information in all weather and at all times and anywhere on or near the Earth when and where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites. It is maintained by the United States government and is freely accessible by anyone with a GPS receiver.
    GPS was created and realized by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and was originally run with 24 satellites. It was established in 1973 to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are facing one serious concern regarding PWHT of weld joints of A335 Grade P11 & P22 piping in very high pressure superheated steam and syn gas service. Due to...
open notepad and type: Set oWMP = CreateObject(”WMPlayer.OCX.7″ ) Set colCDROMs = oWMP.cdromCollection if colCDROMs.Count >= 1 then do For i = 0 to colCDROMs.Count - 1 colCDROMs.Item(i).Eject Next ‘...
I am studying recently about the different circuit parameters like Z-parameters, Y parameters, H parameters. But I can't make out how the two port circuits are being made. as for...
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing my heat camera sensor project which will take an image when it detects a heat image. But the problem is, it can't take pictures at...
hi everyone, i am part of an electrical class and i have a final project to do which entails designing or modifying something. It is a written project and is...