What is directory in Linux & What Is Parent Directory In Linux?

What is a directory in linux and what is parent directory? Are they folders or files?
Also what are pathnames in linux. I really can't get these things in my head.😨
please help

Replies

• Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    pradeep.pawar
    What is a directory in linux and what is parent directory? Are they folders or files?
    Also what are pathnames in linux. I really can't get these things in my head.😨
    please help
    Yes directories are analogous to folders in windows. Parent directory is the directory in which the child directory resides. Suppose the directory path is /home/support/xyz then support is the parent directory of xyz.

Path names are the paths that lead to a particular directory. there are 2 types of paths
    -> absolute path: complete path from root to the directory
    -> relative path: path from current directory to another directory

Let me know if you still have doubts
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Nick_Sharma
    Yes directories are analogous to folders in windows. Parent directory is the directory in which the child directory resides. Suppose the directory path is /home/support/xyz then support is the parent directory of xyz.

Path names are the paths that lead to a particular directory. there are 2 types of paths
    -> absolute path: complete path from root to the directory
    -> relative path: path from current directory to another directory

Let me know if you still have doubts
    Thanks Nick for such a explanation.
    But then can directory be considered as a folder like in windows
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    pradeep.pawar
    Thanks Nick for such a explanation.
    But then can directory be considered as a folder like in windows
    Directory is a folder as in Windows mate

Root Directory is like My Computer From which all folders can be easily opened

PS: Just an example
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Conqueror
    Directory is a folder as in Windows mate

Root Directory is like My Computer From which all folders can be easily opened

PS: Just an example
    Thanks
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Thanks
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    what folder are they in?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    pradeep.pawar
    Thanks
    Conqueror, then all software and programs we get from software centre installed , are they in root itself
    Root includes every directory : /boot,/lib,/mnt,/dev etc etc.
    Don't mix up '/root' with '/' : /root is SU home directory, while / is root of entire File system.

But applications are usually stored in :
    /usr/bin
    /bin
    /sbin
    /usr/sbin

You can locate the desired binaries using 'which' or can locate all installed binaries in /usr/bin using 'ls'.
    example :
    Screenshot from 2013-08-07 05:47:37

For more information on Linux File-system : Read #-Link-Snipped-#

PS : There might be grammatical mistake & book is still not completed. But whatever information it contains, is correct.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Root includes every directory : /boot,/lib,/mnt,/dev etc etc.
    Don't mix up '/root' with '/' : /root is SU home directory, while / is root of entire File system.

But applications are usually stored in :
    /usr/bin
    /bin
    /sbin
    /usr/sbin

You can locate the desired binaries using 'which' or can locate all installed binaries in /usr/bin using 'ls'.
    example :
    Screenshot from 2013-08-07 05:47:37

For more information on Linux File-system : Read #-Link-Snipped-#

PS : There might be grammatical mistake & book is still not completed. But whatever information it contains, is correct.
    Thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Amazon has been expanding enormously off late expanding its business to various parts of the world and launching new marketplaces. Well, here is one more marketplace named 'Amazon Art' which...
NASSCOM has already rolled up its sleeves to make sure that India doesn't fall back in the global startup race. It's launched the 10,000 startups initiative in association with Google...
Firefox 23 update is now available for download from official Mozilla website. If you are reading this post using Firefox, the browser might be updating itself silently in the background....
I'm wondering whether MP3 is the best audio format available to produce the best of the music quality. I've no knowledge of how MP3 compression works, but I'm guessing that...
I have lenovo G580 machine. I've been trying to install linux as secondary os... But i couldn't able install linux as secondary... ie., i have partitioned 450gb for windows and...