what is detonation?

What is meant by the term 'detonation' in the context of mechanical engineering? Can someone explain this term, its use as to where, why and how? Please reply.

Replies

• white_hat
    white_hat
    In a Si engine the position of spark plug is important.This decides the flame speed and controls the direction of shock wave produced during combustion.
    In case of knocking or detonation the fuel air mixture is not ignited by the spark produced by spark plug.Ignition can be caused by carbon deposition inside the cylinder head or by the residue after the previous combustion.This produces a shock wave which is not controlled and hits the cylinder walls and creates the mechanical pinging sound.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Detonation is also called as knock,knocking spark knock,pinging. Meaning of detonation is the action of causing of a bomb or explosive device due to explode. when the unburnt fuel in the engine cylinder attains SIT(self ignition temperature),then the fuel is burned itself with a sound of explosive resulting in a detonation or knocking.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    One way to avoid detonation or engine knock is to use high octane rating fuel. They are available under fancy names as "Super gasoline", "Extra Premium" etc. Practically, not much gain you will make by using them. However, most of the vehicles in market are designed NOT to use them. Means you can use simple gasoline and have a good ride. Yet, the companies (read fuel companies) are shrewdly branding them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Am final year BTech student.MY DISCIPLINE IS applied electronics and instrumentation.
I like electronics and instrumentation a lot. Currently working on projects in Labview. Hope to see more Labview folks here.
i am cheerag. entering my IVth the last year of my b.tech in a full mood to do big.
Ever heard of a television that can fill quarter of an average room? Samsung came with a mind blowing release of a 75-inch Samsung SMART TV ES9000 in South Korea....
Thousands of internet lovers may be knocked off by malware on Monday July 9th 2012 Despite repeated alerts, the number of computers that probably are infected is more than 277,000...