What is being an Entrepreneur?

CE , our forum is something making some changes in the mind set of many people!
Here we ask them to think out of box , do things on their own etc etc..,

So , how to be as an Software Engineer, in any city in every corner there is a software employee and getting a job is not a difficult thing!

But we dont find Entrepreneurs anywhere near us!
We find people who do copy paste.

Almost everyone can be a software professional these days *No offence*

So what is we need to have called the Entrepreneurship qualities?

How to identify ourselves as future Entrepreneurs.

Now put your suggestions!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No responses here? Looks like most of the engineers are interested in 'getting the job somhow'. Huh?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Well i don't think there are any pre-defined qualities that must occupy by a person to be an enterpreneur
    There is a dialogue in of my favorite movie badmash company
    "any big buisness requires a big idea"
    so all depends on that idea but to some extent there are some conditions which are necessary to achieve success
    1 you should be able to withstand tough situations
    2 you should be able to identify oppurtunity in difficulty
    3 you should be able to identify people
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Being an entrepreneur requires two things if you ask me.
    Thing number 1- A nice smile when you face your customers. This was told by Big K before in a separate thread, I too believe in this point. Being presentable and sweet towards your customers will win you trust and you can attract potential customers.
    Thing number 2- Vision. You have to make up your mind, aim at long term goals. You will have to sacrifice short term benefits, you may make a few people sad, but in the end, you have to gain your goal, you have to reach your destination, and, all the short term gains you will have to sacrifice will come back to you, when you reach that aim of yours.
    There are many other things, but these basic ones have to be put into your mind first.
    (P.S.- My English is getting a bit poorer. I can't express those ideas as well as I think, Hope you understand what I said above. Thanks for reading, Kindly correct me if I am wrong in any way. Thank you)
  • alikamu
    alikamu
    Entrepreneur:::

i think that question really fits in since i am a one and i have seen the exact same thing as told by seeram...all around us we have people who do not create a code but use copy and paste and than proudly proclaim that the code belong to them.

but according to me the real
    Entrepreneur

are those who can bring in the wind of change into the life's of people and things ...easier for the community.

but one thing is for sure u r enterprenur because u love doing hat u like and the money is the last thing in their minds...
  • jd3cker
    jd3cker
    Being an entrepreneur means controlling your own destiny. It takes a certain type of person to be an entrepreneur, one who can get his / her ass kicked, get back up and keep moving forward.

You are not restricted or confined by a cube (unless you prefer to work in one) and are driven by a passion for your field or idea. I chose the route of starting my own web development business. We focus on developing process automation solutions for small - medium business. I can tell you from experience it is not easy, not always fun and can sometimes put you near the edge of just giving up entirely. However, I do it because I do not want to be bounded by a corporation where my hard work is boxed and delivered to a CEO for his or her benefit. I know that I have the creative capacity, motivation and determination to do great things and so that is what drives me. Perhaps I will develop a product line in the not so distant future? Perhaps I'll even go work for (yes "for") another startup if a suitable level of opportunity exists.

On a related note, an entrepreneur and a business owner are not the same thing. Someone content with their ma and pop shop is not an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs are always striving for growth and improvement. Often they are involved in multiple ventures throughout their journey. They seek to exploit opportunity in the market and become a disruptive force.

Money should not be a driving force. I don't work long hours every day and dedicate much of my time to what I do for the money. In fact, I don't make a lot of money and when I eventually do I don't intend to change my current lifestyle.

I think it is a shame that so many people are content with their 9 - 5 instead of exploring and perusing their true passions. If they did that and found a way to benefit odds are they would eventually fall under the umbrella of entrepreneurs.

This is starting to turn into a rant, so I'll stop there, but I hope that adds some value to the conversation!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a related note, an entrepreneur and a business owner are not the same thing.
    Very well said.

Someone content with their ma and pop shop is not an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs are always striving for growth and improvement.
    I agree only to some extent. Entrepreneur could belong to any field. Need not open a shop (read business) necessarily. I believe entrepreneur is someone who is driven by an idea - and then works out everything else to make the idea work or bring it to reality.

Money of course, should not be a driving force. Entrepreneurship is full of ups and downs. For several weeks or months, an entrepreneur will have to survive with ZERO income and if the entrepreneur is 'in it' for the sake of money; the chances are that he/she will lose interest and motivation to continue.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    jd3cker
    I think it is a shame that so many people are content with their 9 - 5 instead of exploring and perusing their true passions. If they did that and found a way to benefit odds are they would eventually fall under the umbrella of entrepreneurs.
    Well, I wouldn't generalize those who have 9-5 careers in that sense ๐Ÿ˜› Some have their own good reasons to pursue this path. These days with the recession cloud looming above us, we are considered lucky to earn some sort of income, even if we have to sacrifice on what we really would love doing instead.

Let me be a bit cynical in this instance. It will be a challenge to be an entrepreneur if you don't have support from others around you at the right time. Zero income for months? How would one cover basic necessities like food and shelter? Taking loans out would put you in even more dire situations. What if you have people who rely on you for support? Sometimes its OK to put aside your passions to until you are in a better shape. Pursue entrepreneurship in a smart way, not dive straight into it without thought.
  • jd3cker
    jd3cker
    I agree with both of your responses. I realize toward the end I was starting to get carried away a bit, so I cut it off there. I sometimes overlook what is logical when I'm caught up in the moment. My roommate is working on a startup project and would not be able to do so (he also would not be my roommate) if he didn't have a corporate 9-5 position. Granted he's trying to leave it in search of greener pastures but we all couldn't afford rent otherwise ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By "Zero Income For Months" I mean, an entrepreneur should not give up his venture because it does not generate income for months. During that period, it's advisable to survive on savings, support from family etc. I guess almost every entrepreneur does that.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    During that period, it's advisable to survive on savings, support from family etc.
    Yep, this is the point that should be iterated upon more when discussing entrepreneurship with entrepreneurs to be, rather than be ambiguous on what the "challenges" are ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    On a related note, an entrepreneur and a business owner are not the same thing.
    ๐Ÿ˜•
    Will anyone explain the basic difference between these two terms.?? Till now I'd been using these terms interchangeably. ๐Ÿ˜”

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Guys, I want to know atleast 10 applications of Stepper motor. I only know two of them. It is used in Computer printers & Floppy drives. If possible please...
There is complete internet to share latest information. And of course now CE also. ๐Ÿ˜€ But, if suppose I want to know about the current updates regarding Sports or the...
Google India has followed the footsteps of Gururi - the Indian search engine and launched music search. The music search allows you to search Indian music titles and directs you...
Believe it or not, BSNL has slashed the price of 3G service to just Rs. 700/month. Read the detailed news here: https://www.mobilesforum.in
What are the reasons for system to be struck? Can someone explain?