What is an engineering culture? - How to build it?

If you are one of those curious type, who is intrigued by the work cultures at Google, Facebook, Apple, HP and other such tech giants, you must've often heard the term "engineering culture".
In a query on #-Link-Snipped-#, somebody asked the same question and got flooded with replies by engineers who has different perspectives about an engineering culture. For some it is technical leadership, for others it is the commitment to open source, for some it is automation and for many it is building cool products and deploying them in a way that reflects true engineering spirit.
The number one answer talked about "optimizing iteration speed" - It means giving engineers and designers flexibility and autonomy to make day-to-day decisions without asking for permission.

To me, it is developing a culture where people relentless work towards goals without deadlines and keep learning on a daily event-by-event basis. An engineering culture means people don't just deploy, they create. There is a strong belief in the products they are building and the services they are providing.

I think that engineering culture can only be built by hiring the best. When there is a right person for every task, the output would be magnanimously awesome. Mediocrity should be a crime.

I think that all the startups as well as the big companies should adopt a really effective engineering culture. Technical focus shouldn't shift and technology should be put to the best use.

What is your idea about engineering culture? How should every company build it?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I believe in a multidisciplinary, lateral thinking, creative atmosphere. I find that most good ones tend to be some what loners even when working in a team. Such individuality should be allowed. Leaders should lead from behind. Credit must be strictly based on individual contribution.
    Every morning each group meets for a short 'to do' discussion and a wind up one at close. Every one (whatever the person's position) gets a say. The leader rarely talks at these except to guide the discussion and keeps it on line.
    A committee never produces much except minutes of a meeting after wasting hours of discussion.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You mean work culture? ok let me put it in my words.

If you are hiring me for a skill called testing software or building a transformer. you have to turst me my team whom i bring in or I choose or I get (depends on company) tell me what you want and get out.

I must do what you want with utmost accuracy leaving behind everything and consulting you or someone who knows or learning or whatever. But interfering in what i know best and you know least is a big NO.

So give freedom , flexibility and tasks of interest (or ask the person to choose) then work culture or that office will be awesome.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now people are just worried about completing the project , delighting the bosses . The difference I expect is , tell what you want but never tell how to do that, its my job. If you want a great product tell me what you want , listen and incorporate my suggestions if they are good and leave the how part to me. That product or whatever will be awesome.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Startups hire all the time. There are people coming and going out of a startup all the time. (Especially because there's people leaving startup jobs to go to MNCs 😳)...
At CrazyEngineers, we're looking to buy a coffee / tea / soup vending machine. We're aiming for a smaller machine that'd serve < 10 people for a day on a...
Hello people, i am in 3rd year n my branch is computer and technology..i am olready latee bt still i am confused from what should i start with my pg...
THE SECRET DIARY OF BHARAT RATNA Dr C.N.R. Rao He played cricket for 24 years, I was with solid state chemistry for 60 years. V. GANGADHAR Tense moments. Not possible...
Quote: Destin and Dr. Robert Simmons at Georgia State University revealed the tiniest details of a butterfly's wing using an LEO 1450VP scanning electron microscope that can view objects as...