What is 3-Phase? What Is The Difference Between 1-Phase & 3-Phase?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum!๐Ÿ˜€
and i have one doubt....๐Ÿ˜
What is 3phase? and difference between 1phase and 3 phase ?
where it being used and its advantages and disadvantages over 1 phrase?๐Ÿ˜€
Thank you

Replies

• hsirah5
    hsirah5
    Hi,
    I hope your question is on 1 phase and 3 phase power and not on loads that run on 1 phase or 3 phase.

Basically single phase supply is sufficient for supplying domestic appliances and motors whereas 3-phase power is needed for heavier loads.

The single phase power is generated by 1 coil and which produces the sinusoidal voltage.
    [โ€‹IMG]
    The 3 phase power is generated by 3 coils (which are in Star or Delta connection) with 120 degree shift between them. The individual coils reach their peak value at the rate of 1/3 rd of the time period in a sequence. Since there are 3 phases of current and voltage generation, the total power delivered is higher.
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • sreeraghuma
    sreeraghuma
    thank you i got it the explanation
    but where the 3 phase line is normally used and why it being preferred?๐Ÿ˜€
  • hsirah5
    hsirah5
    Sreeraghuma,
    3-phase line can be used anywhere, for domestic as well as industrial, but mostly it is essential for industrial loads which consume more power for a given phase voltage.
    In the case of domestic buildings like homes and offices, it would be useful when we need less interrupted power supply. And you can obviously understand that 3-phase power is expensive and is less economical option in case of domestic areas.

Most common example, which you would have easily observed, is during a power-cut to houses connected to the same electric line. During electric power-cuts in a single phase, you might have observed that some houses connected to the same line would be experiencing the power-cut while some don't. The reason they don't experience a power-cut is because
    the house may be availing a 3-phase power and hence powered by other two phases
    (or)
    the house may be availing a single phase other than the one phase in which the failure has occurred.

Hence it is your choice to opt for 3 phase depending upon your need and cost factor.

Hope I have answered your question. ๐Ÿ‘Let me know for further clarifications...๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What are the difficulties encountered in simulating Dynamic System for e.g D.C Machines with all dynamics included ?
A signal gets continuously acquired in a given memory location say M1 every 50 clock cycles after which there is an interrupt. It is required to differentiate the signal twice...
If a; b are positive real variables whose sum is a constant z, then the minimum value of sqrt((1 + 1/a)(1 + 1/b) )is (A) z-1/z (B) z+ 2/z (C)...
Once a congress leader was giving lecture. He told a story. Once a farmer gave INR 100 each to his 3 sons. He asked them to bring something that will...
When we generate electricity from sun light, some of the light escapes. Even so, can we have something to store light? Please take into account, I am talking about storing...