What infrastructure, technology stack does WhatsApp use?

Curious to know what infrastructure and technology stack does WhatsApp use. I'm aware that they've been acquired by Facebook but I doubt they've already ported all of their code to Facebook's existing infrastructure. A recent update says that WhatsApp is now processing about 64 billion messages a day from over 400 million active users. That's quite a big number and makes me curious about their technology and infrastructure.

Would really appreciate responses.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I digged out some information on the Internet and found this PDF by a WhatsApp Employee: PDF

He talks about the performance they were aiming; to go from 200k connections per server to over a million connections per server with this configuration of each server:

1. Dual Westmere Hex Core (24 logical CPUs)
    2. 100 GB RAM, SSD
    3. Dual NIC
    4. FreeBSD 8.3 (the presentation is from 2012)
    5. OTP R14B03
    6. Erlang
    7. XMPP - to transfer messages
    8. rc4 encryption

The presentation shows that they achieved 2.7 million connections per box! 😕 Insanity!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

97yrs old Shyam Saran Negi is India's first independent voter. He has been believing in democracy since 1951. It is interesting to note that the upcoming Indian Elections will be...
India's communication satellite, INSAT-3E has opted out of service about 4.5 years before it's official retirement age. The INSAT-3E served India for a period of 10.5 years since September 2003,...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. has launched the Galaxy Tab4 series of tablets in three size variants. These include - Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0, Tab4 10.1 and Tab4 7.0. Offered in...
Minnowboard Max is the second in the line of Minnowboard series of mini-computers launched by MinnowBoard.org for the DIYers. Just a few months ago, the MinnowBoard had announced their own...
Critical Temperature: It is temperature at (and above which) a gas/ vapor cannot be liquified no matter how much pressure is applied to it. Critical Pressure: It is the pressure...