What happens when petrol is injected in diesel engine?

can please explain what will happen when petrol is injected in Diesel engine this is my lab viva question what i got

Replies

• G.D
    G.D
    fuels properties used in petrol and diesel engines are different.
    the case you are talking will result in KNOCKING.(* hope you know phenomenon of KNOCK)
    because self ignition temp of petrol is high and if it is inserted in diesel engine, due to high 'high ignition delay period' more fuel will b injected and knocking will happen which is most undesirable from vibrational & material aspects.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This topic seems to be quite famous among mechanical engineering students. We've discussed this before:

#-Link-Snipped-#

and

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sri Teja
    Sri Teja
    md mudassir
    can please explain what will happen when petrol is injected in Diesel engine this is my lab viva question what i got
    Diesel ignites due to high compression whereas petrol ignites with the help of Spark Plug. In Diesel engine we don't have a spark plug. This makes the ignition of petrol difficult. The ignition might not be reliable.
    The specialty of diesel engine is that we can use any other fuel rather than diesel.
    But other fuels cant give give much efficiency.
  • viratvicky
    viratvicky
    blast...due to compression ratio...compression ratio of diesel engine and petrol engine is different....
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Let this be answered once and for all.

There are two broad designs of piston IC engines: Spark Ignition (SI) Design and Compression Ignition (CI) Design. This is because there are two broad categories of fuels available in plenty upon our planet: gasoline-like and diesel-like.

Gasoline-like fuels are characterized by their high volatility and low flash and fire points, eg. ethanol, methanol (and gasoline). (Note: Given how I've mentioned volatility and fire points, obviously combustible gases like LPG and CNG are ideal for SI engines). Simply put, these fuels vaporise easily and can be caused to 'catch a spark' readily, meaning they can be used in SI engines running on relatively low pump and engine cylinder pressures.

Diesel like fuels are characterized by their low volatility and low flash and fire points. That means simply that these fuels won't evaporate and 'catch a spark' quite as easily as gasoline-like fuels. Think butter, peanut oil, vegetable oils, animal fats... Anyway Rudolf Diesel found out that if you spray these fuels under very high pressures inside a IC engine that operates on pressures about 50% higher than normal SI IC engines, the fine fuel droplets all catch fire and burn nicely. This is what is called the CI design.

Notes: 1. You can do away with the extremely high pressures in CI engines if you heat the diesel-like fuel before injecting it into the engine. So, can you use diesel in petrol engine? Yes, if you heat it first. Remember, this won't sit well with your pumps and fuel lines, and expect to get your spark plug all sooted up. Soot is, after all, a major exhaust component even in CI engines, which, if you remember, are designed to burn diesel.

2. Rudolf Diesel also found that gasoline-like fuels were simply not suitable for compression ignition. Gasoline especially burned very erratically when compression-ignited, and caused vibration and jerks in the whole setup. This, as you can appreciate, caused serious reduction in the useful life of the engine. Hence, your diesel engine will operate jerkily if you run it on gasoline.

3. Let it be said that a new class of HCCI (homogeneous charge compression ignition) engines are under development, and promise to burn gasoline using CI technology. However, in all likelihood a gasoline-burning HCCI engine won't be able to burn diesel too (and vice versa). This is because these two fluids being intrinsically different, would require different fuel pumping and injection systems.

Edit: adding hashtags. #why can't we use petrol in diesel engines, #why can't we use diesel in petrol engines, #using petrol in diesel engines, # using diesel in petrol engines, #why can't we use gasoline in diesel engines, #why can't we use diesel in gasoline engines, #using gasoline in diesel engines, # using diesel in gasoline engines, #differences between petrol and diesel engines, # differences between petrol and diesel, #differences between gasoline and diesel engines, # differences between gasoline and diesel

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys recently it happened to face worst services from a few reputed brands. As a customer i full rights am mentioning their names not the stories alone. 1. Airtel-...
Hello!folks actually I am a Civil Engineer and wants to start my own Construction Contracting firm.I am done with all the Company registration formalities. But now the problem lies how...
Hey I am Debrupa Ghosh currently pursuing my B.Tech degree in IT from Institute of Engineering and Management,Kolkata..😀
Hellooooo friends I am DHIMAN DAS pursuing M.Tech from Calcutta University .It's my pleasure to join to this crazy community....
can anyone suggest me some books to learn graphics designing??