What does an interviewer want to hear when he asks 'tell me about yourself ' ?

Whenever i am asked to tell about myself to interviewer i start telling him but then i feel that i am reading my cv , like telling him everything about academics and percentage of marks etc. This all is already written in cv . I dont know whether this impresses interviewer or not but i want to know what an interviewer want to hear from us when he asks ' tell me about yourself ' ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If your resume is your complete representation of you, then you may declare so. But interviewers are typically looking to know what's beyond your resume; maybe the lighter, social side of you. If you are repeating things mentioned in the resume, you're simply wasting time.

This question has been discussed in depth before. Do go through following discussions -

How to answer "Tell me/us about yourself" in interviews

How to answer for the question , Tell me about yourself?

Feel free to post your doubts, questions. 😀
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    i have seen some posts saying that "Thanks for giving me an opportunity to introduce myself" Is it necessary? Like i feel its odd...i don't know why can anyone help me?
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    ACCORDING TO ME,MOST INTERVIEWERS WOULD PREFERABLY SEE HOW YOU ANSWER RATHER THAN WHAT YOU ANSWER............
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    In most cases, this question indicates that the interviewer hasn't read your resume before coming to the interview. Your answer buys him the time to read it and also saves him some trouble reading it!!
  • Alok mishra
    Alok mishra
    Anand Tamariya
    In most cases, this question indicates that the interviewer hasn't read your resume before coming to the interview. Your answer buys him the time to read it and also saves him some trouble reading it!!
    if so then answering the question (i.e. tell me about yourself ) in a 'cv reading' manner would be a help to interviewer .
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Alok mishra
    if so then answering the question (i.e. tell me about yourself ) in a 'cv reading' manner would be a help to interviewer .
    Tell interviewer..
    "I guess you didn't find your PRECIOUS time to read my CV, so here it is..." 😁
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Alok mishra
    If "CV reading" means repeating word-by-word, then you're in trouble. That means
    - you have poor conversation skills
    - possibly, somebody else wrote your CV

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Acid attacks have grown in number in the recent past and finally the supreme court of India has asked the government to decide on their policy on the sale of...
PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE DIFFERENT TYPE OF DC/AC MOTORS USED FOR SPINDLE DRIVE/ATC DRIVE OF A CNC MACHINE.
For those interested in web connected devices there is a free web talk from Texas Instruments. Quote: The Internet of Things (IoT) is evolving rapidly. According to forecasts, by 2020...
please suggest the sites which offer learning with certification 1.coursera.org i knew this site are there anymore sites ...
Is anyone here using 4G dongles? IF yes, how's the response? Are they really very fast and good?