What do you think about giving priorities to E-mails?

According to Hilary Mason, the lead scientist at Bitly.
I think e-mail should be sorted by importance, not by time,โ€ Ms. Mason explained this in an interview.

She added that she has built layers on top of her Gmail account that follow a series of rules to correctly prioritize which e-mails she should read first. She calls the program the E-Mail Classifier and has given this little contraption the job of constantly reorganizing her messages like a magician shuffling a deck of cards.
So whats your thought after reading this concept of arranging E-mails in your inbox according to the subject of the e-mail and the mailer ID rather than time?
What do you think is this really going to be helpful for us or will make it more complex?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Many email clients provide this ability. What's the debate about?
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @sir:
    The debate is about -The arranging of E-mails on the basis of subject of e-mail and the mailers identity is better then the time basis arrangement or not?

which is best the one with time basis or the one with senders identification basis and why ?

In my view the arrangement of e-mails on the subject basis is better.
    Let suppose if we haven't check the mail for a week then in case of subject basis the arrangement of e-mails are much different then the time basis, the mails are arranged on the basis of priority i mean the e-mail which is important are on the top and accordingly the least are on the bottom.So it helps to categories which is important and will be read first by the receiver.I think it is better for the business man, they don't have time to read all the mails.So in this way it will be easy for them.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Buddy arranging things on priority can be easily faked by anyone just because subject appears good doesn't always means the mail is important, this is very easy that such arrangement of mail system will lead to unwanted mails read first specially spam mails, also detecting add-mails and spam-mails will become difficult.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    But it(E-mail classifier made by ms. Mason) does not fully depend on the subject but also depends on the Mailers ID (Identification).
    And it arranges the E-mails considering both subject and the mailers ID.
    And it also give priority to those mails which are very much regular to the receiver.
    I mean to say that if a person working on a company xxxx and he receive 1 to 2 mails from his company daily then that E-mail Classifier made by Ms.Mason give higher priority to those mails.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Buddy no matter what the mailer id is, because even mail id's can be faked and that too for free. For more information google for E-mail spoofing or fake e-mails you will get thousands of them for faking an e-mail.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    ya you are right but i do not know whether that classifier is capable of catching/detecting spam E-mails or not...i think that classifier must have that capability of catching e-mail spams otherwise this facility got no meaning.
  • Leo
    Leo
    So far as my view is concerned we already have mail filters they work much better than this classifier, for me the new classifier is actually of no use to regular mail user, will only help few professionals. Still efficiency is doubtful.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Can anyone explain me what is the need of giving priority?i don't know why but this feature seems useless to me
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    I think every one has a separate account for special works.Then why we need this??
  • Leo
    Leo
    goyal420
    Can anyone explain me what is the need of giving priority?i don't know why but this feature seems useless to me
    I too have same view, it's 100% useless.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wishing CEan: View Profile: cooldudeiet - CrazyEngineers Forum a very happy & prosperous birthday! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰
Quoting from Paul Graham's Essay - 18. You Get No Respect There was one surprise founders mentioned that I'd forgotten about: that outside the startup world, startup founders get no...
hi i am shashank...i am interested in doing my final year project in image processing(in java)...but m absolutely new to the topic...(i have dis course in the next semester)......could you...
hi i want informations and photographs based on "blue tooth enabled thermal sensor". i have a motivation work on that topic :smile:
CEans, I'm very sure that we've lots of video gamers on CE. God Of War III is one of the best video game available today. All GOWIII fans please gather...