What do you dislike about engineering

Almost everybody here in CE love engineering. but there might be some situations which really perplex you ? what are they ?

for me it is when the graphs do not turn out the way they are supposed to be. what about you guys?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Not sure if this goes with your theme of thread - but in our lab practicals they asked us to write error-free programs on paper before executing them. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ These were the times when we were just learning C programs. We had no idea why they attached so much importance to theoretical jobs.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AbraKaDabra
    Not sure if this goes with your theme of thread - but in our lab practicals they asked us to write error-free programs on paper before executing them. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ These were the times when we were just learning C programs. We had no idea why they attached so much importance to theoretical jobs.
    I experienced the same thing, in high school , and that also helped me to decide choosing mechanical over computer science in college.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    y
    AbraKaDabra
    .. and i got a 0 in an assignment for writing that error-prone program on paper.
    apart from that, I dont like exams. i really feel ackward preparing for exams
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    I dont like Vivas. They are pathetic. and ditto- comment from #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# ^ True. In Vivas, all they asked us was to define DBMS or list down the advantages of something over something. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    How does it make sense to remember things point to point? - It has got nothing to prove that one is a good CS engineer?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I love everything about engineering; but don't like a few things associated with the way engineering is taught.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    #-Link-Snipped-# right. I remebered the scene from 3 Idiots The classroom scene where the tutor ask Aamir to explain machine and expect the bookish definition which then Omi Vaidya presents.
  • aaditya_jain
    aaditya_jain
    one and only thing i hate about enginnering (if i can spell it right) is it's spelling. every time when there is need to write enggineering i google it and then write it..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    aaditya_jain
    one and only thing i hate about enginnering (if i can spell it right) is it's spelling. every time when there is need to write enggineering i google it and then write it..
    Googling it is a very good idea. It is 'engineering' by the way. Let us thank God that Engineering is not about theory. It is about practical ideas and implementation. ๐Ÿ‘ Welcome to CE.
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    AbraKaDabra
    Same here!!!!
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    One thing I hate most is exams (Education system)!!! I do not know How it is with other Universities. Here in Karanataka, most(almost all) Engineering colleges come under VTU (Visveswaraya Technological University). There will be 8 units in each Subject but we have to answer/choose only 5 for the exams, coz the Question paper provides all the 8, but requires answering only 5. And often students end up preparing only 5 or less than that to pass. So, its like you have only 50% knowledge of the subject, but can score 90% marks with that. I completely hate that. Can anyone tell me How it is elsewhere?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    There is only one thing i don't like about engineering and science. It makes me question life itself. This way of objective thinking has made me question religion, the beginning and how life was formed. Occurrences that might be miracles from GOD i sometimes find myself trying to discover at the microscopic level what could have caused it to happen. In other words i always try to find a scientific solution. I have utmost faith in GOD so that's the only thing i don't like about engineering.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    wow ! a lot of people hating computer programs.

same here !

I had a paper called computer aided designing and manufacturing, last semester. i was just happy on the day of the examination, when it was finally over. !

But here is a fact : computers have made our lives easy, but at the same time, annoying.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    AbraKaDabra
    Let us thank God that Engineering is not about theory. It is about practical ideas.
    This is what I hate it... only 30% marks for practicals, rest of 70% is theory and most of us manage pass theory exam just by studying 2-3. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    There should be 70% practical and 30% theory weightage.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    zaveri
    wow ! a lot of people hating computer programs.

same here !

I had a paper called computer aided designing and manufacturing, last semester. i was just happy on the day of the examination, when it was finally over. !

But here is a fact : computers have made our lives easy, but at the same time, annoying.
    not that we hatre programs, its just how they are taught is what is hated.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    CE Designer
    There is only one thing i don't like about engineering and science. It makes me question life itself. This way of objective thinking has made me question religion, the beginning and how life was formed. Occurrences that might be miracles from GOD i sometimes find myself trying to discover at the microscopic level what could have caused it to happen. In other words i always try to find a scientific solution. I have utmost faith in GOD so that's the only thing i don't like about engineering.
    You should go through the 'About' page of CE ๐Ÿ‘
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    1. Final year projects. We don't get proper enough time to do our final projects or mini projects well.
    2. Semester system. We don't get proper understanding of any particular subject. We read many but not any even one completely.
    3. Writing programs on paper before executing them. Even they don't can't write then how can they ask students to write. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    4. Unrelated subjects for unrelated branches. I mean EDC, Embedded systems for computer science Engineers. I was totally mad about this ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I never thought that it would be such a common problem. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    and here is another thing: whatever is taught in the classroom is taught for a reason. but then things like theorems and their lengthy derivations do not seem to have any practical use outside the four walls of the classroom.

now we people are made to study bernoulli's theorems and fourier laws of heat conduction and derive their expressions in the examination, and with that ends the engineering paper. but in what is this going to help you to fix your car when it breaks down or install a centrifugal pump ?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Well basically, our engineering is not at all applied..๐Ÿ˜”

Out Engineering is only limited to papers. Your theory paper don't go well, you fail. Your final year project doesn't work, you get 10 marks less than the people whose project worked. This seriously makes me upset because I was never good at mugging up & they don't like the answers I write from my understanding. That's the thing I hate the most.
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    The worst part of engineering according to me was the marks evaluation system....

However bright you perform or write the exams ,the university never awards you with the full marks..BY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

Not sure whether this point is restricted to our university only or not.
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    I don't like applied mathematics ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Other than the lone comment of CE Designer, all other grouses seem to relate to the way engineering education (in India) is imparted. That cannot be held against the subject itself.
    Quote:
    Engineering is the science, skill, and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and also build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes.
    Endquote
    Engineering
    If this definition is acceptable, there can be nothing to dislike unless one dislikes all human endeavour.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    As per my interpretation, the OP is actually asking what we dislike about the "engineering course" or in simple, what aspects makes us frustrate and think that we shouldn't have opted engineering. Referring to his example where he states that he hates when the graphs don't come out the way they should.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I dislike this (the dream part which comes last),
    We join a course (Electrical) out of passion then study everything very well. Then join into software where I enjoy working ( I think) and everyday dream about studying , and one more thing I hate is the subject which I got. I didnt just pass out but got very good knowledge on my subject. So if anything happens in the world (I mean inventions) then I dream to study.

The knowledge is what I hate ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    i don't like AICTE or any other governing body giving approval to many new engineering colleges rather than increasing the standards of present ones...without knowing the demand,and many other things are there but already many people raised their voice which are similar to my views.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Crazy Engineers!!!๐Ÿ˜€ I doing a project for a windmill company. I would like to know are there any sensors to measure the voltage and current generated from the windmill...
blowers, centrifugal fans, and rotary air compressors . are they the same machine with three different names, or are they three different machines with their own unique functions ? as...
Google has acquired the Sparrow mail app. The sparrow mail app is a popular app available on both OSX and iOS. Here's an email from the CEO - Hello, We're...
I found this software while surfing down the latest tech developments. The raptor tool is a Flow chart interpreter, which allows the students to visualize or in other words, compile...
Hi friends, My self my name is Vikas Pawar and I am pursuing Msc IT first sem from LDRP Institute of Technology & Research - Gandhinagar, Here i am for...