What did Facebook announce on Wednesday?

"What we're trying to do here is build a social platform. That's very different from building a social application," Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in the press conference.

New Groups

First of all, you can't just arbitrarily join a group--another member has to invite you. Membership is limited to 250 people at this point. New features include collaborative documents, photo and video sharing, and the ability to invite all members of a group to an event. There's also live group chat, a product that also aimed to revolutionize intimate group communication and collaboration but ultimately was a complete flop. Groups can have e-mail addresses assigned to them too, which Facebook says can only be e-mailed by e-mail addresses that match up to Facebook accounts that are in the group.

Download Information: Backup

This permits Facebook members to download into a ZIP file a complete archive of everything that they have uploaded to Facebook: profile data, photos and videos, wall posts, notes, comments, friend lists, etc. This file is then kept on the member's hard drive but can only be accessed through a strict system of passwords, e-mail address verification, and even Captchas.

Third Party Application Dashboard

The company now has a dashboard for managing which applications you're connected to and which data permissions have been granted to them. There's also a log of what data has been accessed by each application.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am from Pakistan doing Computer Systems Engineering... while searching for a project I came across CrazyEngineers forum and I loved it.... its a great help here to discuss technical...
guys as the global warming is increasing how are you taking steps to measure it? i myself control the electric usage and we have planted 32 plants in my house...
ceans i saw some videos in youtube in which a tanker kind of robot can fire a pintball or a small wepon kind of thing. the question is how can...
Am a final year mech engg guy i need some guidance about my project
I want to development an application which will be used for load balancing of an image processing server. I want to development a middleware which passes the client requests to...