What are the subtle differences between the different chipsets and variants used in Laptops?

Ah,
It feels very nice to be back in CE after a long long time. I feel Rejuvenated.
So, I have been looking for a laptop with reasonable specs which could satisfy my needs. While rummaging my way through, I developed a lot of doubts in the internal features of the laptops. So, I prefer Intel Chipset for Processor(Core i5 3rd gen or core i7 3rd gen preferably). So, What is the main difference between a simple Intel chipset and a mobile Intel chipset?(There are chipsets like Intel 875 Express and mobile Intel 875 express).
What does the term variants mean?
Yes, I can get these answers just by surfing the internet but I prefer opinions from our fellow people.! 😉

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Take a look at laptop chipsets, all connectors, bridges & even slots are usually at one place, they are made for that purpose, complex. There are many types of form factors microATX, mini ATX, mini-ITX, ATX etc .. this is all have been categorized as per the size of the chipset.You'll find changes in laptop chipsets differing from company to company, Asus is top in this field, they are active in chipset modification made by ideal chipsets of intel, so Asus laptop's chipsets might amaze you.Almost every other manufacturer's laptop's chipsets differs from eachother.Mostly it is arranged as per size & design of laptop.

The Graphics cards can be mounted on PCIe slot 2.0/2.1,3.0/3.1,4.0 & then tightening it with screw, can be installed in desktop, If you wanna replace the dedicated graphics card you can replace it with other by simply unmounting it from PCIe slot. While in Laptop, the dedicated graphics card are usually soldered or embedded near the North-bridge, but even the soldered gfx card are ain't that bulky as that of desktop. Unfortunately, in laptop you can't upgrade your gfx card.

There are no extra slots for upgradation in laptop chipset, while in desktop chipsets you'll find upto 16 GB RAM of expansion, clearly stating 4x4GB slots, you'll never find a laptop with 16GB Ram, yeah except the "Alienware" products, but those are pretty bulky than regular laptops.hey, it is not "regular" laptop, it is "gaming" laptop 😉
    As the chipsets of Laptop & desktop are unique, the processors are also of different architecture.Now a days, laptop processors can be changed but your motherboard must be compatible with it, sad part is the compatibility part in laptop is less than that of desktop, means you'll find a few satisfactory laptops with motherboards that are supporting your desired CPU architecture. But sure you can, just take note that new processor is compatible to your laptop's motherboard & L2 cache is greater than previous one, else it is of no use.

Cut to chase : Main difference of all is "Expansion" or "Upgradation",Some manufacturers allow to upgrade RAM, but upgradation of Hard-drives, dedicated gfx cards & sometime disk drives is not possible.
    Note that, Processors of Laptops are slower than that of desktops (technically by looking at specifications you can note that)

Anything that spawned in my brain; I wrote it, hope it helps.
    And yeah, Welcome back 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The above question is actually a misnomer. There's no specific game that can be considered as the best. There are actually infinite best games. But which one according to you...
refrigeration and air conditioning by wilbert f. stoecker and jerold w. jones how can i download this book as itry best but didnt find any link. any type suggestions???
I am Eral Engineering Trade: Computer Engineer Location: Phoenix, Arizona Trainee with a firm I joined CrazyEngineers because I want to know more and share my idea with community member....
How I manage PST file that received from my client Those mail including: 1.Encrypted PST files 2.Password protected pst files 3.Unencrypted PST files I need to manage this file.
I am starting to learn Python, hottest scripting language right now ! Before I start just wanna make sure of my query : - I have heard that there has...