Web development in Java

I am seeking for simple projects in java or any other programming language that would enhance my skills.Also it would test me .but i am unable to begin at all.
Also i would like to know how to build desktop applications in java?

Replies

• vinci
    vinci
    i think you didn't understood what i need.Actually i need some stuff over development that indeed helps a beginner .I found j2e i difficult to crack it my level right now and thats why i am moving to android development .
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Try Head First Servlets and JSP! Its a nice book to start with... πŸ˜€
  • vinci
    vinci
    thanks praveen-kumar.i will try to go with head first java but is this book goes consist of java applications ?
    vinci
    thanks praveen-kumar.i will try to go with head first java but is this book goes consist of java applications ?
    Hey, why don't you say your skills of HTML, Java, J2EE, Servlets?
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    vinci
    I am seeking for simple projects in java or any other programming language that would enhance my skills.Also it would test me .but i am unable to begin at all.
    It is better to go with Head First Java and Java Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt. If you were good with basics already, then go through Java Cookbook for problem solving and practical examples.

vinci
    Also i would like to know how to build desktop applications in java?
    Net Beans.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I personally wouldnt suggest you to start programing using netbeans, if you are in learning phase, I would suggest you to get yourself a notepad++ and thats it. write it up using notepad++ and compile it through command-prompt(or equivalent).
    In this way you would learn and come to know how things work in java.
    It will take time and also be prepared to invest lot of time and patience, but at end of it, its worth.

I also see that your interests are in auto-insurance,taxation,real estate. You can try to build something around this.In this way,since you are already familiar with the goal, you know what to predict at the end of the project.

Just for the starters, you can pick up statistical data, run over a linear regression(simplest one) and try to maximize your profit, with minimum possible error.

Another idea from top of my head, try to build up something which can approximate our future( say retirement) earning. Say the data that user provides is his income, taxes that he would be paying, loans, monthly expenses and so on.In the end he wants to know how much maximum money can he gather or what he has to do if he wants to save X money. The solution might also hint where he can save, period where he can spend some money without differing from goal if possible and so on. Its a large field that you can try and experiment.

It can range from pure statistical data with hard-coded algorithms to machine learning, the choice is yours just suggesting you not to bite off more, then it might be boring.

If I were you, I would start off simply building some calculator stuff. If you are new to java, I suggest you to write console based calculator for simple interest, compund interest. Once you are ready, you can write a desktop application or an applet.

If you are stuck some where, post it here, lets see how can we help.
  • vinci
    vinci
    i am working with eclipse and practicing java and now jsp also, continuously and i am not soo good at programming but i want to build some application in java .thanks to all for help,I will post my puzzles here .
    One more thing i would like to ask you what if i go with design pattern in java? what does it means?I got some material over this topic last night and wondered to know what is this
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Praveen-Kumar
    Hey, why don't you say your skills of HTML, Java, J2EE, Servlets?
    Hi praveen I have done a project using Eclipse IDE(My SQL as a back-end) , but I don't know how we can make it ready for windows....
    can you tell me the process...
    Does it involves any copyright issues...
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Hi praveen I have done a project using Eclipse IDE(My SQL as a back-end) , but I don't know how we can make it ready for windows....
    can you tell me the process...
    Does it involves any copyright issues...
    I don't understand. What application is it? What code have you used? Eclipse supports almost all the programming languages, so ... πŸ˜€
    vinci
    i am working with eclipse and practicing java and now jsp also, continuously and i am not soo good at programming but i want to build some application in java .thanks to all for help,I will post my puzzles here .
    One more thing i would like to ask you what if i go with design pattern in java? what does it means?I got some material over this topic last night and wondered to know what is this
    Design pattern is a coding style, which is followed in the whole application. For eg., the application may contain similar parts like displaying the user image. So, for that, you have to use a consistent code among all the views. πŸ˜€ Hope this is clear... 😁
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    i've used jsp
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    still not understood bro..... using HTML,jsp as a front end and My SQL as Database I have developed a simple application which is running with tomcat server....
    now my concern is how can we make it as a normal software like music player(to install and use in other PC)
    K!r@nS!ngu
    i've used jsp
    Use Eclipse J2EE with JBoss Server. It runs on Windows. We were doing the same during our training using Windows XP. If you need any help, don't hesitate to post here... πŸ˜€
    K!r@nS!ngu
    still not understood bro..... using HTML,jsp as a front end and My SQL as Database I have developed a simple application which is running with tomcat server....
    now my concern is how can we make it as a normal software like music player(to install and use in other PC)
    Yeah, it is possible. You can use portable servers like for eg., XAMPP. It has TomCat server, and you can configure it to run from USBs... Moreover, for this kind of portable application, I would suggest you to go with PHP & MySQL, which is far more compatible among systems than JSP, as you would be needing to do more configurations... πŸ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    O.K. I will try and let you know ......
    K!r@nS!ngu
    O.K. I will try and let you know ......
    Sure... waiting for your take... In the meanwhile, I suggest you these...
    1. XAMPP (#-Link-Snipped-#)
    2. WampServer (WampServer, la plate-forme de dΓ©veloppement Web sous Windows - Apache, MySQL, PHP)
    3. USB Web Server (USB Server – USB Device Server)
  • vinci
    vinci
    how to decide what design pattern to use and how ?Can u clarify Praveen a little bit
    vinci
    how to decide what design pattern to use and how ?Can u clarify Praveen a little bit
    Design pattern is like a signature of you! If you are a hard code dev or a beginner, the same small code you write for a + b will be different from mine. For eg., I indent using 4 spaces, and you might do it using a Tab. πŸ˜€ Something like that. See the best design patterns, and get experienced and develop your own pattern someday... πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi i am a newcomer! Can i post here some FAQ?
hi, i am doing my final year project(signature recognition),i planted to use image acquisition to capture the signature, and i am new to matlab,after i capture an image from image...
Hi everyone! I'm part of a team of young developers and we are building an app about a multiplayer quiz. We'd like your help in choosing a name for the...
I am placed in accenture india and the joining date is dec 7th. I want to know whether its possible to for a mechanical engineer to get into the engineeringg...
CEans, Here's a quickie. Fastest CEan Wins! πŸ˜€ Give Me Just The Word. That's It! πŸ‘ ... and get 10 CE Coins!