Web based operating system - ideas & discussions

I'm surprised we haven't discussed the concept of Web based operating systems yet!

So here we go. I imagine a central server that hosts an operating system. We connect to the server using our PC / Electronic Gadget which fetches the necessary data from the web based OS and loads personal settings in your system. Possible huh?

But in order to operate, the electronic gadget / pc itself would need an OS! So what do you have to say about the whole WebOS thing?

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hey Biggie,
    HP has come out with a similar concept like this. Its called a Thin Client. Wherein, each dumb terminal is preloaded with embedded Windows ... and all the softwares are residing on a central server. This results in -

1. lesser power consumption (green technology)
    2. more control for admins (yaayyy!!)
    3. cost effective and scalable solution

Or are you referring to a truly web based OS like desktoptwo.com? In which case you will still need a barebones OS and a browser.

But I guess, its more like an extension of the Software as a Service (SaaS) model, wherein users do not have to pay huge lumpsum amounts for a particular software package, but instead do a pay-per-usage payments.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, as long as you have a fast and reliable internet connection, and the server suffers no downtime and is protected against hackers, should be alright 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I know that the concept has been around for sometime. Firefox creator is devoting his time to web base OS. I was wondering if it's really going to be useful. Do we have any innovative ideas about the next generation of operating system?

Engineers - let's imagine what's going to be the next OS!
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    For that, we would have to see what are the benefits an web based OS bring for a user/enterprise. If the benefits are not great enough, then it will never see the light of the day during implementation 😀

Some of the benefits I see are -
    1. Easier administration at the system level
    2. Lower license costs
    3. SaaS model
    4. Scalability for the organization
    5. Green technology
    6. Plug-n-play for all users viz., I am good to go on any terminal
    7. Usability

So, the next gen OS has to keep on improving on these lines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

No, I have not taken this interview. Neither do Joe Kraus knows me personally. (but ah!, I would like to know him though.) I was just plain impressed by the...
hii all! i just want to know how reliable external 2.5 " hdds are.. i had this one 80gb with usb support purchased a couple of months earlier. my system...
Can anyone explain what is "Time out error", "errcode1", in my vb.06 project. I could not locate in msdn also. Help me............ Rgds, Kallu.
We'd love to have Chemical Engineers discuss issues/problems faced by them here. What are the typical technical problems faced by chemical engineers? Let's collect the problems in this thread and...
Online & offline, I've handled the most frequently asked question by engineering students - " Post engineering, what should I go for: MBA, MS or M.Tech? " I invite all...