Voltage on car's dashboard

what is d voltage on the dashboard of the car, is it 12volts or somthin else?????

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Re: voltage......

Where on the dash do you see that? Is it a gauge or a recepticle? Cars are 12v until you get to the coils. Maybe one of the electrical folks will see this or your thread will be moved to there and they can help.
  • burnout
    burnout
    Re: voltage......

gohm
    Where on the dash do you see that? Is it a gauge or a recepticle? Cars are 12v until you get to the coils. Maybe one of the electrical folks will see this or your thread will be moved to there and they can help.
    its where u ignite ur cigarrete or charge ur mobile.......
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yep, that is your accessory outlet. It is 12volts. The "d voltage" label must either be for dash voltage or maybe device voltage?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    It is mostly 12v,but if we want we can have any voltage we want!!!
  • v1r05
    v1r05
    hi guys,

no mean to hijack, but i have some project that is going to hook up to the 12v rail(probably 90% backwindow brake light & 10% probability cigarate lighter) . now if i made a mistake somewhere and it short out while using it whats the consequence is going to be ?? will i burn my car down ?

cause i worked with SLA batteries before and they dont like being shorted out (wires fused together) very messy!
  • gohm
    gohm
    As long as your amp draw is within spec you should be fine. In-line fuse is always a good idea. Main thing is if you blow a fuse, anything else on that line will be out. So if your third brake light is tied into the 2 main brake lights, you'd have no brake lights and possibly other lights if they all run on the same fuse/line. Having your brake lights go out could be a little risky plus get you a ticket in most places. Most vehicles have several unused accessory circuits that might be better to tap into. If you need to drop your total vehicle draw an easy place to start is to switch to led lighting or removal of some items/less wattage. Higher output stator is another option. You should post your project in that forum, I'm sure we'd all be interested in what you are doing.
  • v1r05
    v1r05
    hi gohm

my project is a MP3 player, i wanted to create a nice mounting place to put all the controller circuit/drive/power supply at the trunk of the car then run wires to to the other part of the circuit (buttons/lcd..etc) which will be mounted somewhere around the dash board(underneath the old radio maybe)

the project is still in early stage (currently:reading ID3 from files)

as in power supply: i think will follow one of the switching power supply design on the web, (12 (boost) -> maybe 24 -> back to 12). then feed the circuits and drive.

any website detailing more about car electrical system and how to steel powah from it ?

thanks
  • steelestimating
    steelestimating
    Steel Detailing

Hi
    The World's Leading 3D Structural Steel Detailing System.StruCad puts a unique array of powerful modelling and detailing. I found a site which it can benefit you.If you are interested then you can land

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • khooper
    khooper
    The power cord actually step down the voltage from 12v to 5v. The power chord is also rated at 2A so if the CRV power accessory can't supply 5v at 2A then I would suggest that you find another dealership to have them look at why the fuse is blowing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello I am new here ..and honored to be among all these engineers. I am a Mechanical Engineering Student and would like to ask if there is anyone out there...
ello I am new here ..and honored to be among all these engineers. I am a Mechanical Engineering Student and would like to ask if there is anyone out there...
hi friends.. i needed some information or resource or report on this Home networking topic for my seminar..can i get few information on this topic.. thanking u vinaydc
CEan - Vipulb celebrates his birthday today! Many happy returns of the day, Vipul! May your dreams come true and you make the world a better place to live 😁😁
Im final year crazy engineering student plz send me some information about seminar topic SYMBIAN_OS and as early as possible................. if possible send report and ppt on same ...........