Volocopter VC200, E-volo's 18-Rotor Electric VTOL 'Green' Aircraft, Flies Its Maiden Flight

Volocopter VC200, E-volo's multicopter recently debuted in the German skies to its first successful flight. The nine flights it took in 20 minutes at Karlsruhe's arena were pretty much summed by by Alexander Zosel, Managing Director of E-volo, in this statement- "Rich and incredibly quiet sound, absolutely no noticeable vibrations in the flight, convincing structure with a great, new spring strut landing gear, and an extremely calm rotor plane." Those are some real proud features on the craft.

slide

VC200 seats two at a time in its roomy cockpit, and is a vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) manned aircraft. It derives power for propulsion off 10 battery-powered electric motors (zero-emission), and features a carbon-fiber frame and branched-supports to weigh them down. E-volo claims that the Volocopter VC200 offers its passengers a pollution-free, smooth and a quiet flight. The vehicle could be easily maneuvered via a joystick, and shall have minimum operating and maintenance costs.

In its first sky-kiss, it the VC200 touched a height of about 70 feet. And though the flight at present clocks 20 minutes, the developers are sure that with enhanced battery technology the flight time could be bettered to one hour or more. Following some more testing and flights, the prototype shall be used for series production soon. As E-volo puts it, "the world's safest piece of air sport equipment" shall be mass-manufactured soon enough.

Watch this video to see VC200 in action-

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    They are thinking of a hybrid version too. If that turns out well, the issue with range extension can be resolved to a large extent.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    It all depends on how they wanna use the product, give it to defense people? Or use it for use by civilians. If civilians is what they think, then they need to reduce wing span, more time sustainability, should fit in available space we have on roads or cities. Parking issues, recharging issues.

Defense people can find a use for this product in some or other way, but they might also face similar issues. Should be able to carry weight and all. Also design is too vast. Not practically deployable

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello folks, 26th November, 2013 is the official CrazyEngineers Day (CE Day) and we have been celebrating this day every year for the past 7 years. Every year we have...
guys..pls help me......i,m a computer science engg student..but seriously i haven't got any interest in this field...n by hearing dis you may ask.."then y u took this"..its quiet simple...i wasn't...
Hi Folks, This is a general question that raised in me. I'm using a BSNL 3g data plan, I'm supposed to be in another state(another network circle) for some days....
CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A CLEAR IDEA ABOUT INVESTMENT CASTING?
The year 2013 has been a great one for Micromax Mobiles, one of the biggest consumer electronics company in India, as the country witnessed the launch of a series of...