Uses of thermostat

Hi i have doubt in thermostat. thermostat is only used for know temperature or also used for heating the water or some liquids or also used for cooling water . Please clear my doubt and also tell types of thermostat and voltage ranges, watts ranges.

Replies

• Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    i don't know much about it, but as far as i know, thermostat is used in all heating device. whether it be geyser or electric iron or anything which has automatic cut off.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Shiyam Sundhar.N
    Hi i have doubt in thermostat. thermostat is only used for know temperature or also used for heating the water or some liquids or also used for cooling water . Please clear my doubt and also tell types of thermostat and voltage ranges, watts ranges.
    It maintains the temperature, nothing else. (Like Air conditioner)
    When temperature reaches below required level, it starts heating & when it reaches above desired level the system turns off. (Similar but opposite(cooling) phenomena happens in A/C)
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The word itself means holding temperature static.
    The most common thermostatic element is a bimetallic strip. You can make one by soldering together a strip of copper foil to a galvanised steel strip. When such a strip is heated it bends one way and the other way when cooled. Actual devices use this concept housed in suitable enclosures and with fixed or adjustable contacts depending on end use.

Here are some links:
  • ogundele kehinde samuel
    ogundele kehinde samuel
    Hello! Please, to my own best of knowlege, thermostat is mainly use in any heating element 2 strip-off when there's excess temperature. I.e when there's excess heat the bi-metallic wil blend n cause it 2 strip-off.

Please I also have this problem as well,
    1. What's the main different between UPS and INVERTER?
    2. The different between squirel cage and wound rotor?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supply
    Inverter - Converts input DC to required output AC.

The key difference is the 'uninterrupted' part. Both convert Dc to AC.
    However, A UPS always supply power from its inverter output even when AC power is available. AC is converted to DC and charges the battery. Battery output is fed to the inverter, which converts it back to AC. This is connected to the load. When AC power is off the battery continues to supply power to the inverter, which in on continuously.

The inverter just produces an AC output. It is up to the user to design means of switching it to the load. Many inverters have a relay to do this automatically. There will be a small switching delay.

Motors:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

PDF
    ogundele kehinde samuel
    Thanks. But am stil yet dn't understand about the UPS and INVERTER. Why? Someone told me UPS- is an online system while, INVERTER- is an offline system. Please I need more clearification.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ogundele kehinde samuel
    Thanks. But am stil yet dn't understand about the UPS and INVERTER. Why? Someone told me UPS- is an online system while, INVERTER- is an offline system. Please I need more clearification.
    UPS has to be online to justify the name uninterrupted supply. Inverter comes on only when the power fails. A suitable switch mechanism is needed to change over. You can switch on an inverter manually also if you use a changeover switch.
    ogundele kehinde samuel
    Thanks.
    Another question that am worried about are:
    1. The physical and operational different between squirel cage and wound rotor?
    2. What could be the effect when a moisture substance is being used to wash a motor?
    3. What can bring about electric-motor heating up in a seconds?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, I'm trying to find some simulation software to help guide me in a project I'm using to teach kids about the stabilisation capabilities of (mechanical) gyroscopes. Essentially I...
I'm in a dilemma as my designs on Photoshop CS3 were actually redone in Corel Draw by a technician at the printing press because he claims that CorelDraw designs have...
Hi friends , do anybody have the idea about the software which is used to check our email writing efficiency ? if anyone knows please help me as i am...
The idea comes from a kickstarter project called Lock8. I think this could be an interesting project to for engineering third and final year/sem students. The project would involve developing...
PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE DETAILS ABOUT THE IMPORTANT ROLES PLAYED BY MECHANICAL ENGINEERING IN THE FIELD OF SPACE,ASTRONOMICAL RESEARCH.CAN ANYBODY HELP ME TO WRITE AN ARTICLE ON THIS ISSUE.