Upgrade Gingerbread To Ice Cream Sandwich?

is it convenient to upgrade my current android OS(gingerbread) to android 4??

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    yes... it far way better than 2.X.X.
    Gingerbread had issue after upgrading from Foryo but IceCreamSandwich is very stable and improved UI and features .
    Which phone you are using ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yuuki
    is it convenient to upgrade my current android OS(gingerbread) to android 4??
    Well, Android 4 does have a ton of improvements over the Gingerbread. But the main factor to consider is to know whether your hardware supports the ICS or not. The best and the most convenient way to perform an upgrade is by connecting your phone/tablet to the computer and download the firmware from the official website.

OTA updates are nice; but if something goes wrong; it's hard to reset the phone. I'd strongly recommend backing up the photos/songs/videos first to a safe place before attempting to upgrade your phone. I know a few people who lost important data because they were too lazy to perform a 5 minute backup of their phone.
  • yuuki
    yuuki
    it
    ianoop
    yes... it far way better than 2.X.X.
    Gingerbread had issue after upgrading from Foryo but IceCreamSandwich is very stable and improved UI and features .
    Which phone you are using ?
    it is samsung galaxy young....
  • yuuki
    yuuki
    The_Big_K
    Well, Android 4 does have a ton of improvements over the Gingerbread. But the main factor to consider is to know whether your hardware supports the ICS or not. The best and the most convenient way to perform an upgrade is by connecting your phone/tablet to the computer and download the firmware from the official website.

OTA updates are nice; but if something goes wrong; it's hard to reset the phone. I'd strongly recommend backing up the photos/songs/videos first to a safe place before attempting to upgrade your phone. I know a few people who lost important data because they were too lazy to perform a 5 minute backup of their phone.
    again thank you sir....what really bothers me is that, if my phone was upgraded to ics, my system will work slow....do you think it will happen?? considering my hardware supports ICS..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I doubt the phone will become sluggish. Since you've a Samsung handset; Samsung would have tested the phone for performance on ICS before releasing the firmware upgrade for everyone. But it would help search for reviews on Google before you actually attempt it. ICS is better than all of its earlier versions. In fact, you might even notice performance improvements! That's what every new firmware upgrade is supposed to bring to the hardware.
  • yuuki
    yuuki
    i've just read a review concerning this and they said that a normal user like me must not attempt to upgrade it with myself...however, i think i should explore and take risk...way better than not trying anything...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yuuki
    i've just read a review concerning this and they said that a normal user like me must not attempt to upgrade it with myself...however, i think i should explore and take risk...way better than not trying anything...
    You're not a normal user, you are a . I don't see any reason anyone would not want to upgrade their handset on their own. It's not at all a rocket science and in fact, does not require user's interruption once the update process starts. All you need to do is just follow the on-screen instructions. The only strong recommendation is to backup all your important data even if it's your 1000th upgrade. There's no excuse to not backing up your data before attempting to move over to the latest firmware. Though there is a 99.99% chance that the upgrade will be smooth and all your existing data will be preserved. There are a few apps that may need an upgrade after you update your OS.

Go ahead; do it!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    yuuki
    I think you got update notification from Kies.
    Just back your sms using SMS Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play and synchronize your contacts with Google contacts (for safety). you are not going to loose anything everything will be restored as it is.
    If there would be any problem only apps going to loose which you can restore via play store which always shows your app history.
    If you are fearing to do this visit Samsung care. 😀
    PS: try to update using high speed connection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I heard about Instagram where they were a small company and then the second time I heard about them was when Facebook decided to acquire them for whooping $1billion. What...
Microsoft's Outlook.com is a shiny new interface for the good 'ol email. I tried the outlook interface for some time and I must say I'm impressed. But it's not the...
As engineers, most of us love everything RC. As a kid, I was fascinated by the RC cars and fantasized owning a small RC plane. I'm sure we've a good...
Mousotron Have you ever wondered how many mouse clicks and keypresses you make every day? Did you ever pause to think about how many miles your mouse cursor moves across...
Indian e-tailer, Flipkart. The most successful online retail shop has secured its finances for the next two years. South African companies Nasper and Iconic Capital are the new investors investing...