Ubuntu For Phone : Developer Preview Edition Released.

Finally,
Canonical has released Ubuntu OS for some devices.This is a primitive version of Ubuntu Touch,If you're developer or an enthusiasts then maybe you wanna check it out that how Ubuntu OS gonna work/look in your phone in near future.
But,Ubuntu for phone right now is not intended for people looking for stable ROM.

App-dev-tablet-GoMobile
Image Source : Canonical Wiki

The Devices which are officially supported are :
Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Nexus 4, ASUS Nexus 7, Samsung Nexus 10.

Being an unscratched developer's edition, there is nothing new to play with OS at this moment.Also, something to note that WiFi works properly but there are some bugs in 3G/EDGE Data, hence it doesn't work.
The issues regarding specific Nexus Models are posted here: Touch/ReleaseNotes - Ubuntu Wiki

Just few required Applications like Gallery,Dialer,Camera,Media Player,Browser,etc. are available.The developer can install their apps in Ubuntu ROM via SSH as Terminal application is not available.

If you're OS X or Windows or anyother than Non-Ubuntu user & you're expecting to flash ROM like you were flashing Custom ROMS of Android,then it's not possible.

You have to boot Ubuntu in desktop & then #-Link-Snipped-# & update the repository.You'll also need some additional tools for flashing Ubuntu on your Android device. (Steps are given in link below)

Eager to Flash Ubuntu in your phone ?
Touch/Install - Ubuntu Wiki for detailed explanation & step-to-step guide to Flash Ubuntu in Nexus devices.

I believe Ubuntu for Phones will take almost 6-7 months to get mature, well that usually depends upon the Canonical community & Developer's work though.
Have to wait 'till October 2013 for official Stable Ubuntu ROM,I guess 👍

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Not October 2013, I guess you might have to wait till 2014. I read somewhere Mark Shuttleworth saying Canonical needs more time for testing and the report of Washington Post wasn't complete. Anyways they are supposed to launch Ubuntu 13.10 for touch devices, but that wont be stable too, I think. May be Ubuntu 14.04 will do the trick....😀
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    jesus crist whats next fedora launching mobile os
    thats it no more of these stupid android apps
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : Ubuntu ROM has been successfully ported for Samsung S3 by one of the reputed member of "rootzwiki".
    SIII users - Go! Flash Ubuntu.

#-Link-Snipped-# man,it's CANONICAL !
    We can't predict what & how they're going to do next.(They're keeping much of their on-going development work hidden now-a-days)
    They've already moved most of their Devs for ARM development.
    Also,unlike other team,Canonical is openly asking the developers to port ROM for other Android models (if they have knowledge in porting).They'll be given credit for their work - Canonical's promise.
    I think that by the end of October,the ROM will be stable with enough apps in ubuntu software center.
    But,the Ubuntu Phone won't be releasing untill April '14.
    I wonder that to whom,Canonical is going to ask for hardware development/designing for Ubuntu phones.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bump!

Work In Progress(WIP) // Ported Devices (Ported) :

- Motorola Xoom (WIP)
    - Galaxu Nexus (Ported)
    - Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (WIP)
    - HTC One XL (WIP)
    - HTC One X+ (WIP)
    - Sony Xperia T (Ported)
    - Huawei Ascend G300 (Ported)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update 1 :
    - Samsung galaxy S GT-I9000 (WIP)
    - Samsung Galaxy Note II (WIP)
    - Asus Transformer Infinity (Ported)
    - Samsung Galaxy SII (WIP)
    - Samsung Galaxy Note (WIP)
    - LG Optimus 4x HD (WIP)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update 2 :
    Acer Iconia A700 (WIP)
    Dell Streak 7 (WIP)
    HTC Desire (Ported)
    Kindle Fire 1st Gen (Ported)
    Motorola Droid 3 (Ported)
    Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (Ported)
    Motorola RAZR (Ported)
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717 (WIP)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi (WIP)
    Nexus S (WIP)
    Sony Xperia S (Ported)
    Motorola Droid 4 (Ported)

More coming ..... !!!
  • lal
    lal
    So much open source mobility to look at this year! Sailfish, Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu
    Will be interesting to see the battle! Battle?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    lal
    So much open source mobility to look at this year! Sailfish, Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu
    Will be interesting to see the battle! Battle?
    Just few hours back in MWC abbreviated as Mobile World Congress, Ubuntu defeated Firefox OS.
    You can clearly see the difference :
    20130224_ZTE_Open_running_Firefox_OS_011_610x477 DSC00143z_large_extra_large

Undoubtedly, I love the Orange bitch !
  • lal
    lal
    Clearly Ubuntu there! Those touch gestures specially designed for multi-tasking, that looks impressive. But its too early to judge, still have to wait and watch.

I believe Sailfish will put on a display. They sure are experienced. But Tizen and Firefox are no big names, at least for me. Will have to wait!
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Ubuntu does look awesome! I hope the phone is available soon, I am planning to buy a new one....😉
  • lal
    lal
    err, I doubt that. An official stable release is still quite far. May be by end of this year. And if any popular manufacturers hold hands with Ubuntu, then that will be interesting. Even more interesting if some nice devices like old N900 show up.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Here's the list of all ported devices & Work In Progress devices.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Not all features of OS is working in ported device, so do check the "State Of Things" table, if you're planning to flash it.

By far, Samsung S2 i1900 & motorola Droid 3 has almost all thing fixed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guy's Webservices is the technology using which applications developed in different languages can communicate with each other. I just want to know same technology is also used to develop...
Hi. I am new here. Please tell me how is Samsung Galaxy S duos? I wanna buy this mobile. Does it lacks a lot?
Hello I´m director of a scaffolding company with operations in Catalonia and Balearic Islands. (Spain). Pere Roca ( Pere is Peter in catalan)
hay guys​ i want to develop an application based on cryptography but i have little bit confution which algorithm should i used and why. i want to encrypt taxt ,...