uBuntu 10.10 Installer Stuck: Solution!

CEans,

I downloaded the latest 10.10 release of uBuntu and had a hard time installing it. The installer got stuck at about 80% and just showed "Ready when you are..." message on the installer.

The fix is really simple and stupid. The 'username' SHOULD not have any capital letter! Surprisingly, uBuntu installer did not show the correct error message and I had to browse tons of pages to find this fix!

Just make sure that the username you're entering is all lowercase letters and you'll do fine with the installer.

Anyone else's got problems? Post them here.

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Hi Big_K i got that error message several times. I used many Linux System Live and found myself only installing Ubuntu and debian variants everytime. I don't know more but this problem is quite common in every Debian based Linux so Ubuntu is no exception. I most of the time insert my name as first letter capital case and name i want to login is all small case. I don't think it's a problem or bug, Canonical intentionally implemented that to counter some sort of security problem. By the way it always displays message related to username before installation moves ahead, i think you should report it since you not got error message after more than half installation process because it is surely a bug. Happy Computing
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Leo
    Hi Big_K i got that error message several times. I used many Linux System Live and found myself only installing Ubuntu and debian variants everytime. I don't know more but this problem is quite common in every Debian based Linux so Ubuntu is no exception. I most of the time insert my name as first letter capital case and name i want to login is all small case. I don't think it's a problem or bug, Canonical intentionally implemented that to counter some sort of security problem. By the way it always displays message related to username before installation moves ahead, i think you should report it since you not got error message after more than half installation process because it is surely a bug. Happy Computing
    I believe the problem has been reported. There are many such complaints on ubuntuforums. I can't reproduce the bug as the message was displayed during installation on my laptop, but not on my desktop.
  • fabian
    fabian
    Thanks a lot The big K

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Q: When does a person decide to become an engineer? A: When he/she realizes he/she doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker. Q: How can you tell an extroverted...
Choosing between buying flowers for your wife and upgrading your RAM is a problem. You take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room....
Microsoft has finally revealed the much awaited Windows Phone 7 today. When you first get the phone, the stuff that’s more obvious makes you smile,” says Andy Lees, Microsoft’s Mobile...
The latest mobile operating system from Samsung called 'Bada' has partnered with Social Gaming SDK provider Scoreloop. Scoreloop will provide the SDK to its network of over 3,000 developers. The...
I was repairing my bike! I tried to connect motor to the back tyre and see how it is rotating! With a proper shaft I am sure it runs well....