CrazyEngineers
  • Hi CEans,

I was thinking of upgrading a Dell PowerEdge R310 production server (for network monitoring) from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. In terms of performance wise, will there be much difference? I know 10.04 is quite stable for older hardware, but I hope to see if 12.04's performance will increase proportionally with Intel Xeon.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Nayan Goenka

MemberAug 20, 2013

It will just be fine. Performance wise, 12.04 is good. I saw its performance on one server.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberAug 20, 2013

Nayan Goenka
    It will just be fine. Performance wise, 12.04 is good. I saw its performance on one server.
    Do you remember the specs of that server you saw by any chance?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorAug 21, 2013

Ash - what kind of tasks will the server be performing apart from network monitoring? If it's just networking monitoring - I'd expect performance improvements with uBuntu 12.04. Haven't tested it, but remember reading about performance improvements somewhere. Maybe a quick test with latest uBuntu will confirm?
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberAug 22, 2013

Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash - what kind of tasks will the server be performing apart from network monitoring? If it's just networking monitoring - I'd expect performance improvements with uBuntu 12.04. Haven't tested it, but remember reading about performance improvements somewhere. Maybe a quick test with latest uBuntu will confirm?
    The network monitoring will poll lots of devices and store historical data on MySQL. We'd expect to add more services on it soon.

Currently don't have a spare dell server to test 12.04 on. Just a PC perhaps to verify all monitoring services run ok on it.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register