Ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 LTS for production server?

Hi CEans,

I was thinking of upgrading a Dell PowerEdge R310 production server (for network monitoring) from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. In terms of performance wise, will there be much difference? I know 10.04 is quite stable for older hardware, but I hope to see if 12.04's performance will increase proportionally with Intel Xeon.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    It will just be fine. Performance wise, 12.04 is good. I saw its performance on one server.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nayan Goenka
    It will just be fine. Performance wise, 12.04 is good. I saw its performance on one server.
    Do you remember the specs of that server you saw by any chance?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash - what kind of tasks will the server be performing apart from network monitoring? If it's just networking monitoring - I'd expect performance improvements with uBuntu 12.04. Haven't tested it, but remember reading about performance improvements somewhere. Maybe a quick test with latest uBuntu will confirm?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash - what kind of tasks will the server be performing apart from network monitoring? If it's just networking monitoring - I'd expect performance improvements with uBuntu 12.04. Haven't tested it, but remember reading about performance improvements somewhere. Maybe a quick test with latest uBuntu will confirm?
    The network monitoring will poll lots of devices and store historical data on MySQL. We'd expect to add more services on it soon.

Currently don't have a spare dell server to test 12.04 on. Just a PC perhaps to verify all monitoring services run ok on it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Videocon, one of India's popular brands, has launched a new smartphone called the Videocon A42. The latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS running smartphone isn't yet out on online retailer...
This is the creation of my lifetime. The Video is unlisted and I may take out the link in couple of day's time. Shadow Art Show Maker is one of...
To all CEoM participants - Many of you have been writing news articles in various technical / non-technical discussion forums. If you're writing a news items, we request you to...
While 2.7 billion of us have all the information we need on our fingertips, we tend to forget about the remaining 5 billion who have yet to gain access to...
Spice Mobiles, just like the other Indian smartphone manufacturers, is jumping into the cheap priced phone launch bandwagon and bringing to the market two new smartphones called - Spice Smart...