turning of train...

hi.. i want to know that while a train taking a turn its outer wheels covers larger distence than inner ones, so is there any diffrential unit used in it..?

Replies

• juma1987
    juma1987
    No it doesnt have differential, thats one of the reasons of the wastage of the train wheels.
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    juma1987
    No it doesnt have differential, thats one of the reasons of the wastage of the train wheels.
    so please will u elaborate that how it performs turning along curves...?
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    I think, turning of train radius is kept large so that if you see small part of curvature it will look like straight line.

& yes this is the main reason for reduced life in train wheels & rails.
  • 2010mayan
    2010mayan
    The train wheels are formed like a truncated cone attached to guide flange.The diameter of the wheel closer to the flange is slightly bigger than the outer edge.

The wheels are fixed on the axle in such a way that the flanges run adjacent to the inner face of parallel rails.

While traveling on a straight route both the wheels will be in contact with the rail at the mean diameter point of the wheel.

When the train is negotiating a curve , due centrifugal force the bogie is pushed away from the centre of curvature.

The bigger diameter of the outer wheel and the smaller diameter of the inner wheel will be in contact with the rails when negotiating curves.

The outer wheel with bigger dia contact covers longer distance, while inner wheel with contact at the smaller dia covers shorter distance.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, . when we can transfer data through the air then why don,t we think about storing data in air. i think it,s possible so any one here which...
Got a new website. check out :-https://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
Can anyone tell me exact meaning/use of Stubs and Drivers in integration testing??? With example will be great help 😀
Hi All, I am a college student wanting to work on a new project. So far I have been using op-amps and other setups to get what I wanted on...
okay fellow ceans, i need to tell you about this torch which i saw at my friends place. It was this torch which was made of transparent material inside was...