Turbo charged alternators

Most of us here are aware of the working of superchargers and turbochargers.

Superchargers actually draw a portion of the crankshaft output to power themselves.

but turbochargers are an improvement, where instead of taking anything from the crankshaft, they power themselves from the waste gases(exhaust).

Similarly now if the alternators too were to be powered by the gas turbines, then wouldn't there be an increase in efficiency. ?

Besides this would also enable alternators to be mounted some distance away from the engine, which would reduce heating, and increase the alternator efficiency .

what is your take on this ?

Replies

• white_hat
    white_hat
    As far as i know,when alternator is working at low rpm, we need a higher initial current to produce enough electricity.
    Turbocharger rpm can go upto 30000+, i dont think alternator can handle these higher rpms also.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    As far as i know,when alternator is working at low rpm, we need a higher initial current to produce enough electricity.
    Turbocharger rpm can go upto 30000+, i dont think alternator can handle these higher rpms also.

what happens if the rpm exceeds, the required value ?
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    zaveri
    what happens if the rpm exceeds, the required value ?
    Stator and rotor windings will get damaged.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    Stator and rotor windings will get damaged.
    for which we can use reduction gear boxes, but then that would complicate things.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I heard this , a few years back, that the engine of the Tata nano actually comprises of many polymer components. (thermosetting plastics), and that this was the only way...
Now if a block of ice, was kept in the chiller compartment of a refrigerator, what would happen to it ? would it melt ? because according to the thermodynamic...
Happens with me most of the times. I think the video is a great lesson for me. What about you?
Google and NIIT have teamed up to launch the 'Web Academy' to make the young professionals aware of Google's services, offerings and technology. The main aim of this training program...
Present education system, is not in the right path. Online learning is becoming popular that students can obtain bachelor's and master's degrees, and it also provides certificates in certain fields....