Trays in Distillation Columns

Hi! I have few queries about column trays:
1) Are column trays considered as pressure parts or non pressure parts?
2) Can PWHT be performed in a column with stainless steel trays clamped to tray support rings?
3) Is PWHT possible on trays welded to tray support rings, with the tray material being 316L SS?

Thanks

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The trays in a distillation column do not see any pressure gradient. While post weld heat treatment may help restore micro structure and relieve weld stresses, it is not clear why this is needed for a non pressure application.
  • Disha Sharma
    Disha Sharma
    Thank you Sir.
    But what about SS trays seal welded to their support rings? If the vessel undergoes PWHT after the trays are welded, then will there be any warpage or damage to the trays?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Are you sure the vessel as a whole fitted with trays undergo PWHT? That will be difficult with large columns. I do not have much experience in this. Since the trays are seal welded to rings there may be enough stiffening to prevent distortion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Problem Statement: Need to design a line follower which will initially take a continous path and then in between it has to detect the morse code sequence of 'dits' and...
I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on my dell inspiron 15R SE with 2gb 7730m ati raedon graphics. But it seems has not installed the proper drivers in any possible way...
Hey guys.. can any one help me in finding them .. I gotta submit the synopsis and the paper should be in IEEE format 😔 Thank you
hello evry1, I am B.tech E.C.E final year student. i want to do my 6 months industrial training in any of the MNC. plz help me out by suggesting any...
even if solar panel is not switched on, sunlight keeps striking d panel n the photons wil strike it and release electrons right?? which means if i switch on the...