Transformer doubt

Hi guys can a step up transformer raise a voltage of 10mV to 220V..

Replies

• silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Theoritically it can. But practically (Asumming non-ideal power source able to deliver only finite power) it will be at the cost of extremely small current at the secondary.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    i think its a big transformation practically very difficult to achieve or may be impossible
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    silenthorde
    Theoritically it can. But it will be at the cost of extremely small current at the secondary.
    Yes as already said by Biswarup you can step up it to high voltage but as the voltage current ratio remains constant there will be very small amount of current at secondary side.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    If we can be able to generate ..how much the size of it and the cost would be ...

can it be used for production of high voltages anywhere at anytime??
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Hi dileep,

The problem would be that the transformer would be extremely bulky. If you have to convert a signal from tens of mV to 100s of V. you will need a turns ratio of 10 raised to the power of 6.

Imagine the transformer losses, simply, the joule heating will be enourmous. Of course you can cool it. But why would you want to build something like that? our aim is not high voltge alone. We need High power.

as a solution you can cascade several small transformers to achive this signal ratio.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    just a practical doubt..well if we create more voltage it will also increses power also ...isn't it?
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Nope Dileep. Power is conserved from the primary to the secondary in a transformer. Just think for a while. Answer this questions.

Does the transformer have a seperate power source?

If your answer is no. Then where will the extra power come from? Therefore power is conserved from primary to secondary. The power at the primary is equal to the power at the secondary of a transformer.

So, if your i/p power to the primary is constant, stepping up the voltage (potential transformer) will lead to a proportional decrease in the current of the secondary and vice versa.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    silenthorde
    Nope Dileep. Power is conserved from the primary to the secondary in a transformer. Just think for a while. Answer this questions.

Does the transformer have a seperate power source?

If your answer is no. Then where will the extra power come from? Therefore power is conserved from primary to secondary. The power at the primary is equal to the power at the secondary of a transformer.

So, if your i/p power to the primary is constant, stepping up the voltage (potential transformer) will lead to a proportional decrease in the current of the secondary and vice versa.
    yeap laws of nature dictate that power cannot be created or destroyed it can only be converted from on form to another.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys can anyone tell me some project names tat implement AI
CEans, CrazyEngineers has associated with IIT Guwahati Techniche 2009 as an online media partner. Check out more information about Techniche 2009 on its official website - Techniche'09 Keep watch on...
Hi guys, i m planning to do a image processing project for my final year. The project is extracting the text from a image and One of the main focuses...
hi, how does an gps receiver could process the information obtained from about 20 satellites and shows the approximate location of an area without data collision?
i need some ideas 4 my final year project...