Tower Guy Wire engineering

I'm looking for some assistance with tensioning of guy wires on communication towers. Specifically in regard to adjusting for temperature. As some may know, initial tensions are usually set at 60 degrees F. Rarely during an inspection and when tension checks are performed is that the present temperature. In some cases, the tower prints will spell out alternate tensions for given temperatures and one can interpolate to the exact temp. In most cases, one is only left with the initial tensions or is left to use 10% of the breaking strength of the guy wire.

I have found one formula that I have some doubts that take all the factors into account. Basically it uses the cos of the guy angle, modulus of elasticity of the guy, the metallic area of the guy, the coefficient of thermal expansion and the temperature change. If there is anyone doing structural analysis on guyed towers that can assist me in finding the proper formula that I can punch into a spreadsheet, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey, I'm looking into doing a project over the summer that uses an RFID module to turn the overhead lights in my room on and off. I have been thinking...
It takes shingles off roofs. The teeth are subject to punishment and abrasion. The shaft is air-hammered upon and used as a pry bar. What would you like to see...
​ That's right folks, the Zune HD is real, and it's coming this Fall. Microsoft officially announced the next iteration in their Zune line today, making it less of a...
I am study degree now and there will be a project i have to do... But i have no idea what i can do, can anyone give me some opinion?...
Official Website: Bluetooth.com | Bluetooth Innovation World Cup With the Bluetooth Innovation World Cup the Bluetooth SIG is looking for new applications and products using the Bluetooth low energy technology...