To B.E or not to B.E

* B.E = Bachelor of Engineering

CEans,

This topic popped up in my mind while chatting with CEan - Kidakaka. Kidakaka asked "How many people get into engineering because they want to do something great in engineering?"

I've seen many people get into engineering just for the heck of getting a job after 4 years of fun. Engineering degree makes your entry into the market easy, but how many of us are engineers at heart?

There's one thing all of us should understand - you can make a living without getting an engineering degree. So why did you choose to become an engineer?

What do you think? To B.E or not to B.E? 😀

:addendum:

I'll share an interesting fact with you. I see lot of engineering students come to our forum while searching for "Seminar Topics & Project Ideas". Many even go ahead and write to me asking for ready-made code. That makes me think if these people have been forced into engineering that they are clueless about their abilities and knowledge and what they can make out of it.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Definitely to B.E 😉 I think this relates to the debate we had (or still having) about the definition of "success". Anyhow, I did stumble upon this forum because I wanted some ideas for my final year project! *grin*

B.E. gives you the necessary tools and skills to help you analyze and solve problems. I remember my dean saying in a speech during my first year about how the only 20% of the theory we learn in university is actually applied into the job in the future. Not sure how true that is, but I suppose he wanted to point out that being an engineer is about the ability to solve problems that you face, using tools and techniques drilled into you rather than memorization of problems, theories and definitions.

Anyway, I believe most of us on this forum are the engineers that do want to make a difference in the world 😉 Perhaps we need some encouragement to speak our mind and ideas out.. which this place is perfect for!
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    To B.E .i joined the course to do something that makes me different from other B.E students..i love computers i can sit in front of computers and keep on updating my knowledge..i like to interact a lot...
  • pavansai
    pavansai
    I believe that some might be interest and some not in ENGG . some of them might have been forcibly joined ENGG, beacuse of parents or brother whatever might be the reasons ......................... one should believe that once we are Engg students or engineers . even though we are not interested in doing engg , we should think that i am gonna to become great engineer like VISWESWARA RAO (OR) A.P.J.KALAM ETC one day in my life ............. EVEN THOUGH U HATE ENGG .START LOVING YOUR ENGG SUBJECTS from the first year itself and start discovering that u have something fire in you . BELIEVE me that finally a day will come you feel that
    " I AM LUCKY and PROUD TO BECOME AN ENGINEER "
    before u leave your college............. but it is not easy as i said .................................

I PROUD TO BE AN ELECTRICAL ENGG STUDENT ............. HOPE I GET JOB IN MY FIELD ITSELF ...........
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Definitely To BE....Engineers do play a very important role in the development of a nation..Engineers are more valuable than anyone because we DISCOVER things..every other filed is interlinked with engineering..and that too computers play a major role in every other field.i really wanted to become a computer engineer and i am going to because i like working in computer..Nothing can excel an engineer's mind because innovation starts only there.
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    Obviuosly to B.E.
    theres a rotten thing in this world known as rat race ! its really rotten and ruins your interests and makes you play (the game of life) for others.you just go on fulfilling SOCIAL REQUIREMENTS and in turn get dead frurstrated with life.we have innumerous parents forcing there children to join engineering field for quick and easy path for earning green bucks.they never really want to know what their children want to do,and thus we have these stubborn,stuck up and confused teens who take up engineering because of immense pressure on them.RESULT:we have engineering students reallly are not sure what engineering really is.thats only one reason for having DUMMY ENGINEERS......................... however an innovation is never a dummy innovation and engineers are real innovators
  • gohm
    gohm
    To B.E.

Big K you got it 100% correct when you asked how many people are engineers at heart. Engineering lies more in the heart and less in the brain then most people think. It's all about the passion, creativity and concern to makes things better. Like anything else, I know there are some engineers who can quote formulas and theory until they are blue in the face but lack the passion & desire and others who lack formal theory education but have a strong drive of desire to create, design & improve. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. It is sad that many people feel pressured to be in a career just to "be in that career". Do what makes successful in your own heart, whether that's washing dishes or working for NASA, that's the key to happiness. Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    To B.E.

Big K you got it 100% correct when you asked how many people are engineers at heart. Engineering lies more in the heart and less in the brain then most people think. It's all about the passion, creativity and concern to makes things better. Like anything else, I know there are some engineers who can quote formulas and theory until they are blue in the face but lack the passion & desire and others who lack formal theory education but have a strong drive of desire to create, design & improve. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. It is sad that many people feel pressured to be in a career just to "be in that career". Do what makes successful in your own heart, whether that's washing dishes or working for NASA, that's the key to happiness. Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth
    Perfect!

In my opinion, engineering is about 'attitude'. So, anyone - a doctor, a housewife, a 10 year old kid, an artist : everyone is an engineer in his/her own way.

Look what we have on our About CE Page -

We believe that engineering is about attitude. It is not about degrees or certificates. We don't care about your educational qualifications. You can be a student, professional, professor, scientist, housewife, doctor, painter, musician or even an alien [​IMG]. If you got that 'make it better' attitude, join us now!
    [​IMG]
  • vivekji
    vivekji
    I presume that's the reason why india is still a developing country,

People do things for societys' sake, not for their's

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I invite contributions to this thread from people who have spent some time in the professional environment. The point behind starting this thread is to help students write professional...
Will TATA NANO be successfull on Indian roads ?? i m asking this question because i think the ground clearence of its engine is much lower then any other car...
Hi Everyone, I need help in preparing chip design specs sheet for a particular type of integrated circuit. I tried to google this topic but available data is less to...
Most (or all?) of us read Dilbert. People who spend a significant amount of their time inside cubicle adore Dilbert. So, who is your favorite Dilbert character? and of course,...
hello to all crazy engineers