Tips to become a better coder / programmer

hey, guys i am a fresher in comuter science engg.
and i need advices and tips to become a coder,

i have no experience in computers as a subject

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I renamed and moved your discussion to CS/IT section.
  • shivam singla
    shivam singla
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  • shivam singla
    shivam singla
    I didnt get that......nor got any tips thoughπŸ˜–πŸ˜–
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shivam singla
    I didnt get that......nor got any tips thoughπŸ˜–πŸ˜–
    Have you read this: 8 things a programmer should do and Tips For C++ Programmers - Read & Learn ?
  • shivam singla
    shivam singla
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    thanks......but i am expecting them to b a bit more practical
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    A list of practical tips would be
    1)Start coding there are plenty of tutorials available on CE and around the web.

2)Put in a lot of dedication and effort to learn to code.

3)Do not expect to be good in programing for next 1 or 2 years even if you are smart/hard/ dedicated. Make sure you are not demotivated by your failures.
    Think coding as a sport, We all have seen how good Roger Federer is on that tennis court, Ronaldo,Messi on football field,Jordan on Basket ball court,Giba/Dante on Volleyball court,Vishy Anand on a chess board ,Sachin Tendulkar/Rahul Dravid on cricket field, but what we never see is how many hours of hard work they do, trust me coding is similar.

4)Learn algorithms, start with simple ones, use them in your daily life.

5)Participate in online coding competitions like ones hosted on codechef.com, topcoder. Try solving problems from projecteuler. They would hone your thinking and problem solving skills.

6)If you are stuck anywhere, google first, if not then only ask on forums.
    Eventually you would realize that,Google is your best friend and teacher.

7)Participate in discussions, help others.

8)Learn Object Oriented Concepts, and use them.

9)Learn DBMS.

10) Learn to use automated testing and source control and use them.

11)Contribute to open-source.

12)Create something you wanted.

13)Learn how to convey your ideas by using UML or similar techniques.

These are few tips from top of my head,
    If I would be the one asking this question, I would start from tip 1.

Take care,
    -sc
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# ^ That's some good advice that you can follow.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Since last few days, a panic wave was circulating among the Xiaomi Redmi Note owners - that their phone is secretly uploading photos and text messages to Chinese server. It...
The possibility of converting carbon dioxide into fuel is as applause worthy as it is the need of the hour. Scientists from all over the world are working on developing...
The Chrome OS powered device makes an official entry in India with LG Electronics launching its 21.5 inch desktop named Chrombase AiO (All in One) in the country. LG had...
Quote: A Franco-American research team has developed a mechanism that lets a robot adapt to injury. In their paper Antoine Cully and and Jean-Baptiste Mouret of the Sorbonne in Paris...
feeling happy to be with engineers from different parts... i myself an electronics and comm. student.. and i hope CE will be a great tool to help me in my...