Thrust Runner Design

The results of sectional-3D FEA on a Thrust Runner of the Thrust Bearing in a Pump shows that the Runner "bows" under the thrust load. The axial displacement of the periphery of the Runner is ~60 µm. The thickness of fluid-film between the Thrust Runner and Tilting Pads is estimated to be ~10 µm.

Radial interference of 5 mils/inch diameter is modeled between the Shaft and the Runner. The applied loads are: (i) Interference, (ii) Centrifugal, and (iii) Axial Thrust (mapped from 1 Tilting Pad on to the Runner Surface).

I am concerned that the excessive deformation on the periphery of the Runner will cause the lubricant film to be unsustainable, and drastically reduce the load-carrying capacity.

My question is, how much displacement is allowable on the Runner?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everybody, I'm new here, have visited on several occasions and lurked in an effort to learn - but this is my first time posting. I'm an engineering student working...
Hey Admins, We have that conference / shoutbox in the home page of the forum. It is using a continuous refresh method, which is browser and bandwidth intensive. Why don't...
INFI's Mohandas Pai has said that the good old days of wage increase are over and IT engineers shouldn't expect huge salary raises this year. The reason is that market...
I got introduced to Northeye construction project at Noida India via CB's post in Skyscrappers. I checked out the video on SUPERTECH: NORTH EYE and its impressive. Does anyone have...
Hi all, I wanted to discuss what similarities you find between various softwares like catia,mechanical,inventor,Gstar etc. I use or atleast have worked with PRO-E and Catia and I can tell...