Think Big.. Design specification for a software

There was a restaurant in a urban region. The restaurant was the biggest in the region but because of its unique cuisine, which included hundreds of dishes, it was famous beyond the boundaries of the neighborhood. Like many other restaurants, this one offered home deliveries and subscriptions with discounts. The business was growing and so were the problems.

The biggest challenge was to manage orders. Keeping in mind that food cannot wait, proper timing was crucial. On the other hand, managing data for inventory was also crucial because there were cases of accepting orders for food out of stock.
After having studied some of the available solutions, it was decided that a custom sales software solution will be a better option for all these problems.

There is an entrepreneur living in all of us (engineers), what will be the suggestions he/she can contribute to prepare the solutions (software). In other words, if your client asks you that he wants a software solution that cater his food-chain business requirement. What would be the features you will like to inculcate in your software.

Please pour your suggestions for scope of software?
-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to CS/IT Engineering section. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I would first ask that client to give a "Requirement specification doc" mentioning everything clearly what he want and what he don't. Before going into features part, it is always best to know the requirement your client is looking for as well as the problems he is facing and what should be focussed more in the software.

One question , I am not very much clear about your question -you are asking us to think like an entrepreneur or an engineer? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    I would first ask that client to give a "Requirement specification doc" mentioning everything clearly what he want and what he don't. Before going into features part, it is always best to know the requirement your client is looking for as well as the problems he is facing and what should be focussed more in the software.
    Bingo !!! Thats like a good developer; however, I want you guyz to come out of the developer skin and think out of box sometimes.

Around a year back one of the client gave our company following requirement:

"I want to do tickets booking using mobiles"
    Thats it.

He told to my company, now you guyz need to decide on features/technology.. everything he just needs a software which books tickets using mobiles.

Beleive me its real instance I am telling you. Let me tell you one thing, the question I put up is the real scenario (I know the company who made a software for the hotel.. I just want to CE how near we can reach (in deciding features))

shalini_goel14
    One question , I am not very much clear about your question -you are asking us to think like an entrepreneur or an engineer? ๐Ÿ˜•
    A engineer can be a entrepreneur, just needs to think in the right direction.

-CB
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok so that client wants us to do everything for him. No issues.

[ Just give me some time to think, I will update this post with the list of features later. Please wait.. ๐Ÿ˜€ ]
  • CEMember
    CEMember
    Man,
    just one question -

What advantage will be given to those who will post their suggestions here? Are you planning to make such a software?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    We do not do everything for advantages/prizes. Sometimes we learn by doing some exercises, and this exercise is also for learning purpose only. You will get to know how many ideas you can think....

Meanwhile I am not planning to make anything like this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi s, My name is Luiz, I'm from Brazil, 23 years old. I graduated in Electrical and Telecommunications Engineering and I love this profession. My interests are tecnologies, Virtual communities...
After winning the illusive French open, Roger Fedrer completed the carrer slam. He now had all 4 grand slams in his kitty, also he shares the record of highest number...
~~Number in Picture~~ Count using images only. I'll start with 1 Next person posts an image of 2 and so on...
I'm wondering if our regular members are aware of the presence of these buttons at the bottom of every post - ---------------------- ---------------------- These buttons are special and can help...
Hello s, I'm looking for Trade Shows, Exhibitions, Conventions, Conferences and Seminars about Electrical or Telecommunications Engineering in the U.S.A. this year. Someone know about it? Preferably near Massachusetts. But...