The making of an mp3 player on fpga

Hello everyone
I have to make an MP3 player on FPGA but I am a little bit lost. I mean I know that I have to read about things before to proceed but I don't know what to read (the modelling technique, the datasheet of the FPGA board, something about digital signals...?). Could you please show me the way?
What is the right sequence of actions when overtaking an embedded systems project, and when overtaking this one in particuler?

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    This not a embeded system but a VLSI project. How much do you know about the topic?

I suppose you have enough knowledge about HDLs and timing analysis.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    We can furthur aid you in your quest if you provide more inputs here
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    In fact this is not the first time I do something connected to VLSI circuits. We've studied VLSI at school and we've done some simple programms on FPGA like adders, counters, multiplexers... But I've never done a project on FPGA. But looking at the datasheet I've downloaded from the xilinx website, I think with efforts I can come up with something nice, using the memory of the board, the DAC and stuff. However I don't know how to make time analysis.
    As for further details concerning the project, I would like to make a system to which I upload an mp3 file, and then he reads it (of course speakers and the rights intrefaces are needed to do that).
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    What you basically need is sample the mp3 and generate a PWM wave out of it. So one block of your hardware is a PWM generator. Another will be ADC. Make sure you sample at some optimum level otherwise the quality will be very bad. The generated PWM can be directly fed to speakers.
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Thank you [Prototype]
    I welcome any other suggestion
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Hello everyone
    Here's my idea :
    I decode the mp3 file on fpga -> I stream it out to the DAC -> the DAC's output is fed directly to the speakers
    how about that?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The voltage op of the DAc has to sufficient and also the power op of it

If power is less then go for a stage of amplifiers
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Thank you Jeffrey Samuel for your advice.
    At this stage I'm still looking for a way to decode the mp3 file.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Felix Baumgartner is one real daredevil who's going to jump from the record-breaking height of 120000 ft. During his freefall, he'll attain supersonic speeds. You can catch the event live...
Hi friends i had installed idm in my laptop but it was only for 30 days trial period now i need help to get the crack of it can any...
Micromax, the company that popularised dual SIM budget phones in India has now entered the consumer electronics markets. Micromax has launched LED TVs at a very competitive price range. Here...
Mythbusters' escapades through the years. https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/fall-2012-preview.htm A slide show of the Craziest Fifteen of them in the past decade: https://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/144941
Franky Zapata's Flyboard may be Xtreme sport. But it is an engineering marvel of controlled water jet propulsion. May not be many takers at US$ 12000 a unit. It is...