The big big elephant puzzle.

There are two cities A and B 1000 km apart. An elephant is having 3000 bananas with him which he has to carry from city A to B. He can carry maximum of only 1000 bananas at a time and eats 1 banana after he travels 1km distance. find the maximum number of bananas that he finally caries to the destination (city B).
WORK OUT YOUR BRAINS....๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• lovejeet
    lovejeet
    400 bananas approx.??????
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    OK now that's funny! Suppose he starts with 1000 bananas, and eats one banana after every one km. when reached 1000 kms, he is left with none. How will he come back to take other 2000 bananas (coz he is left with no more bananas)?

PS: If it sounds too silly, ignore it.
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    1000 Bananas in his stomach
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    But how will he be able to carry all the bananas?
  • Farjand
    Farjand
    If the elephant carries 1000 bananas at a time, how can he take remaining 2000 bananas with him?
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    @farjand, varsha0802- please apply a bit of your brains.............. there is nothing wrong with the question.....
    it's not specified that the elephant travels 1000 km at once........
    let he travels only 400 kms, drops 200 banana's there, comes back with remaining 400 bananas, repeats the procedure.......
    and at last reaches the destination with 400 bananas............. correct me if i m wrong......
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    Oh ok I got it now. I thought he has to travel whole distance at once. 400 is the correct answer. And ya, I never said there was anything wrong with the question.
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    sorry friends... 400 is not correct. ๐Ÿ˜”
    I think you will have to work out a little more...
    hint- answer is greater than 400.
  • sushant ghatage
    sushant ghatage
    nenuadwani
    There are two cities A and B 1000 km apart. An elephant is having 3000 bananas with him which he has to carry from city A to B. He can carry maximum of only 1000 bananas at a time and eats 1 banana after he travels 1km distance. find the maximum number of bananas that he finally caries to the destination (city B).
    WORK OUT YOUR BRAINS....๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
    may b 500..........
  • ssrajmouli
    ssrajmouli
    533 bananas
  • ssrajmouli
    ssrajmouli
    In the first 200 kilometers, the elephant eats 1,000 bananas (5 bananas per kilometer). In the next 333 kilometers, the elephant eats 1,000 bananas approximately (3 bananas per kilometer). In the next 467 kilometer, the elephant eats 467 bananas (only 1 banana per kilometer). So, there will be 533 bananas in the end.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    didn't got the logic...................... please explain...............
  • ssrajmouli
    ssrajmouli
    The distance between point A and point B is 1,000 kilometers. After travelling 1 kilometer from point A, you ask the elephant to unload 998 bananas and go back to point A. The elephant carries 1 banana with him to point A (that 1 banana will be eaten by the elephant after reaching point A). You will then ask the elephant to carry 1,000 bananas (the second set). After travelling 1 kilometer from point A, you ask the elephant to unload 998 bananas and go back to point A. The elephant carries 1 banana with him to point A (that 1 banana will be eaten by the elephant after reaching point A). You will then ask the elephant to carry 1,000 bananas (the third set). After travelling 1 kilometer from point A, you ask the elephant to unload 999 bananas. So, at this point you have 2,995 bananas at 1 kilometer from point A. In other words, the rate of banana consumption is 5 bananas per kilometer. You repeat this process until you reach point B. The rate of consumption decreases to 3 bananas per kilometer (after 200 kilometers). The rate of consumption decreases to 1 banana per kilometer (after 533 kilometers).

Hope this is clear to you now.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is the video of Celebration in Vadodara,Gujarat after India won the WC. There was traffic jam everywhere. [youtube]ftsDhuuF1Sk[/youtube]โ€‹
HI How to code x(t)=y(t)+x(t-1) with the initial value of x or x(0)=100 in matlab simulink (not m-file)? Thanks
i am a fresh mechanical engineering graduate,and in dilemma to do either ndt or piping and from where?,please suggest some institute,please,
Hello ppl, i have to make a validation code using jQuery. Well, the task is to take username and password from user using a html form and then the form...
i have finished modeling and meshing of a cricket ball impacting a bat on Ansys LS Dyna. the solver runs properly, but when i read the results using post processor,...