Tell me about Passwords

Most of the PC users have windows installed. Actually it doesn't matter in this case. I just want to know that how the User account passwords work in windows? Where are they stored? And also if in case I want to make a program to change the password without inputting the old password, Is it legal?

-------- $un € ---------

Replies

• Aadit Kapoor
    Aadit Kapoor
    i_am_crazy_no_1
    Most of the PC users have windows installed. Actually it doesn't matter in this case. I just want to know that how the User account passwords work in windows? Where are they stored? And also if in case I want to make a program to change the password without inputting the old password, Is it legal?

-------- $un € ---------
    They are stored in sam file
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There are ways also called fail-safe to re-enter a password in a machine without knowing the old one. It is legal since it is used in case when people forget their passwords.
  • Aadit Kapoor
    Aadit Kapoor
    You can also use net user command
  • Sumit Thakur
    Sumit Thakur
    Thank u both for giving me this info.....

one more doubt is, I know about the net user command but what's SAM FILE ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# Your passwords in Windows are stored in a special file known as "SAM" file, but you can't simply open it and see the password, they are always encrypted, and moreover, when you login to your account, the SAM file corresponding to your account would be hidden.

Thus if you really want to see SAM file, boot any LINUX distro from a flash drive or other source and then you can see it.

If you want to change the password, you may use software like Hiren Boot CD, OPHCRACK etc. You can change the password without even knowing the previous one.

As #-Link-Snipped-# said, you may use the net user account from a guest type account, but they don't work every time, because it works actually when your other account has those privileges.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    If you want I can also explain you the main operation of software like OPHCRACK and Hiren Boot CD 😁
  • Sumit Thakur
    Sumit Thakur
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# and of course I shall be obliged to know about OPHCRACK.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intex, the Indian smartphone manufacturer is eyeing the low-key domestic market. The company officially launched two budget phones Cloud X1+ and Cloud Y11. According to the mobile business head at...
A comparative study of web cost estimation model for hypermedia applications A Comparison Study between Bees Algorithm and Ant Algorithm A new wireless communication technology A Probabilistic Approach to Micro...
I need top speed of vehicles is 60-80 km/h and persons sitting in vehicles is 6 persons . For that i need formula for how much watts of motor i...
With a mission to "remove the language barrier in text communication", Reverie Language Technologies was started by Arvind Pani and his friends - S. K. Mohanty and Vivekananda Pani. Reverie...
Reports suggest Microsoft is working on gesture input for devices and interactive displays. While gestures aren’t new for the Redmond giant, it is planning to implement this technology using an...