Techniques For Green Buildings

I'd love to hear from Civil Engineers about the environment friendly techniques used in Civil Design in constructions of buildings, dams, bridges et al.

Are there any special techniques at all?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    as far as housing units are concerned i can list a few points.

1. the gaps between the windows and walls are to be sealed. because this is the way the conditioned air leaves the building and puts more load on the air conditioners.
    2. the same applies to the gap under doors. Sealing up the air leaks and insulating the attic can save up to 20% on your home heating & cooling bills.
    3. having a cool roof ( coated with asphalt shingles or tiles, etc. ) or a roof garden will cool the interior.
    4. Strategically placing windows and skylights can eliminate the need for electrical lighting during the day
    5. High quality insulation reduces temperature regulation costs in both summer and winter.
    6. Passive solar building design is often implemented in the low energy houses. Solar water heater can further reduce energy loads.
    7. on-site solutions such as compost bins to handle the waste generated by the inhabitants
    8. use products that have less or no formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds and other potentially harmful chemicals, that are much healthier
    9. using packed gravel or permeable concrete instead of conventional concrete or asphalt for the pathways to enhance replenishment of ground water, can be used as well.
    10. Insulation under floor to prevent radiant heat from dissipating into the ground and heating the interiors.
    11. prevent heat ingress by using high performance double glazed glass.
    12. use skylights and orient the building such that the rooms get evenly distributed sunlight.

these are the points as far as our buildings are concerned. 😀

-CP
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    also the walls can be insulated using hollow walls or insulating materials. this will prevent heat from escaping from building or entering into building.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Check out our latest coverage on VoiCE: 25 Infamous Viruses In Last 25 Years - CrazyEngineers
I just wanted to post a few quick words to say how happy I am to be part of this forum. I intend to work in healthcare IT which seems...
Heyy there here to share news and views about civil engineering and real estate... hoping for a good time here 😀 😉
They say it’s the last sea-facing property available in Kochi? Do you guys think its true? The DLF Group has now come up again with its new luxurious project Bay...
I'm excited to see the Tata Docomo HSPA+ 3G e-stick. However, the data plans aren't very impressive. Tata's put a cap on the maximum data you can download (even in...