Team Work! How is it done in Enterprises?

Many a times I have asked this question. There are about 10 people working on a particular file and a particular module. The same file, obviously! How do they keep track of changes, when many people start editing the same file doing some work? This made me think about how they manage these things.

It is actually by a type of software, namely Version Control Systems. But generally how do we do it? You start editing a file, named "My Blog Today". In the few moments, you need to go out and you wanted to make some changes. So, what do you do? Use "Save As" and type a name like "My Blog Today - 1". So on and so forth. But, this happens very much in designing and programming.

Once upon a time, I had to design a poster for my symposium. It looks this way (self dabba):
[​IMG]
Filename: Poster_Final.png​

But before coming to this level, I was having the file like this way:

[​IMG]
Filename: Poster1.jpg​

[​IMG]
Filename: Poster1.jpg​
And now don't ask me, how is the Poster1 and Poster2 are ultimately different from the Poster_Final! Its because it went through more than 100 iterations and finally it was given printing. Now, what I have done is I renamed the same initial design Poster.jpg (not shown) into two different tracks, or you can call them as branches as Poster1.jpg and Poster2.jpg.

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    And this is how exactly a Version Control System works! Now, lets take a simple example of buying grocery. Your parents asked you to buy an item from the market, say Milk. You keep it in your mind and save it in your brain as list.txt. So, in a VCS, you are checking in. Each time you push in something or modify something, it is called as a check in.

[​IMG]

On the way, your mother calls and asks you to buy a bread too! So, you update the list.txt in your brain with appending the bread too! This is a Revision. Each time when the file is modified, it is known as a revision. And at any point of time, you can go back to the previous one.

[​IMG]

Another call, you need to buy Jam. So, you again modify the list.txt and make another revision. Till now you would be having 3 revisions, with each revision having one item added to it. The moment you asked the shopkeeper for jam, you get another call, asking you not to buy jam, but buying butter. So, what you do? Erase the Jam, i.e., go back to the previous version and append a new item called butter, from the version 2! This way of going back to an older version is called Checkout. The process is checking out the changes made right now and reverting back to a previous version.

Since you already have listed a Jam item, it needs to be stored somewhere. Let it be in another branch, namely some "Temp" and right now, the one which you are updating with Butter is the required one and it is the "Master" branch. So, you have actually Reverted back to the revision 3 by checking out your changes and then in your working copy, you have added the necessary item, and againchecked in with the right list. That can be explained in this way:

[​IMG]

So, you have learnt how to Check In, Check Out, Revert Back, etc. in a Version Control System. Next we will learn it in a detailed way.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

plz provide some information about laser communication i wanted information for seminar m.tech (wireless communication) thanks
Some reputed colleges, whose cut-offs are mostly between 170-180, have their seats filled by students from minorities with a meager score of 60-70(out of 200). Students scoring 150-170 loose their...
hey guys how many of you know that there is a research that is going on in MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY under the guidance of NOBERT MULLER, on the "DISC GAS...
Is there any simple inverter circuit that can be efficiently employed in a UPS(not in production scale).Im currently using a Johnsons counter(4017b)and an 555 timer to drive the MOSFET and...
network analysis seems to be broader than what we call as circuit theory, but why is name given as circuit theory????