Tea Lover's Corner

I'm wondering how many crazy engineers over here love Tea ๐Ÿ˜’. I invite all tea lovers to tell me why they love tea and importance of tea in their lives ๐Ÿ˜‰.

You may add more information like what brand of tea you prefer. Let's also discuss advantages and disadvantages of tea ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A la British climber George Mallory,'Because it is there'.George Mallory

I have drunk virtually every version of tea. Like all of them. My usual daily guzzle is five cups. Four at work and one at home. This is in addition to the four cups of coffee. I brew brown tea (most Indian and Ceylonese teas) for three minutes with fresh boiled water, add a bit of milk and a little sugar. I also drink it black and unsweetened quite often. Green tea has to be brewed at not more than 80 C, and always taken straight without sugar.

I can go on for quite a while on the flavanoids, anti oxidants and cancer fighting properties. I better keep quiet about its memory and brain enhancement capabilities if some one wonders,'how about you?'.

The unvarnished truth is that I drink tea because I like it.

Bioramani
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Woa! That's too much tea! ๐Ÿ‘ . I survive on one cup in the morning and one in the evening or late afternoon. I used to be high on caffeine during my days as a software engineer. I don't like black tea, but the procedure of brewing it is more or less the same. Could you enlighten us a bit on the types of tea? My knowledge is only limited to lemon tea ๐Ÿ˜
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I used to take tea because caffeine is dangerous for health and also tea tastes nice... ๐Ÿ˜€ I love ginger and lemon tea... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I love to take ginger tea, especially when it's raining. But I don't consume it on a daily basis. ๐Ÿ˜€

@bioramani: Please enlighten us a bit more about kinds of teas! It will be good to know.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I love tea!

I used to have 6 -7 cups of tea everyday ๐Ÿ˜€

I like ginger tea and masala tea.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    hey any1 tasted that ayurvedic tea..............tasty and heathy....................
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    I used to take tea because caffeine is dangerous for health and also tea tastes nice... ๐Ÿ˜€ I love ginger and lemon tea... ๐Ÿ˜€
    It is an interesting quirk that the drug caffeine is made from tea waste. I actually designed and set up a plant for this at a well known tea estate in Nilgiris very long back. It was a tough and enjoyable chem eng problem. Tea actually has quite a bit of caffeine.

Bioramani
    bioramani
    It is an interesting quirk that the drug caffeine is made from tea waste. I actually designed and set up a plant for this at a well known tea estate in Nilgiris very long back. It was a tough and enjoyable chem eng problem. Tea actually has quite a bit of caffeine.

Bioramani
    Yeah, nice to hear this stuff... Anywayz, it has a quite a bit of caffeine only... But caffeine is 100% caffeine right??? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    Yeah, nice to hear this stuff... Anywayz, it has a quite a bit of caffeine only... But caffeine is 100% caffeine right??? ๐Ÿ˜›
    This gives more info:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

As you can see tea has more caffeine than coffee.

Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Didn't know that Tea has more caffeine that coffee!
    Which one is more healthy? Tea or Coffee? ๐Ÿ˜
    AbraKaDabra
    Now even I have this weird question and afraid of taking tea!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Praveenscience wrote: Now even I have this weird question and afraid of taking tea!!! [โ€‹IMG]

Both of you relax with a hot cuppa tea or coffee. I am going to be 72 in exactly a week. My daily diet during my engineering student days in Andhra 'Varsity consisted mainly of gaseous 'nutrition' of 150/200 cigarettes/day, 15 to 17 cups of India cofee house coffee and a little solid food. Used to weigh about 55 Kg then (1957). At 72, I still weigh the same. Gave up smoking in '67 and reduced Coffee/tea to 5 of each (six on holidays) now. I am in the pink of health. Best to avoid either two hours before bed time. A lot of published medical data point to the colon cancer fighting properties of both tea and coffee.

Here is a recipe by George Orwell, an authoritarian tea lover:
    George Orwell - A Nice Cup of Tea - Essay

Here is the counter recipe by none other than the Royal School of Physicians:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

To wind up:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
    Thanx for the fact!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    I am going to be 72 in exactly a week.
    I am in the pink of health.
    Whoa! I am (we are) looking forward to celebrating your birthday on CE! ๐Ÿ˜

A lot of published medical data point to the colon cancer fighting properties of both tea and coffee.
    Good to know. I guess it's only about staying healthy and fit. And not consuming either tea or coffee in excessive amounts. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Hey all..

Have you tried Green tea?

*It helps to control weight.

*Helps to improve immunity system.
    ursplfrnd
    Hey all..

Have you tried Green tea?

*It helps to control weight.

*Helps to improve immunity system.
    *It helps to control weight. I need this!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    praveenscience
    *It helps to control weight. I need this!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Yes . It does. But *Terms and conditions apply !๐Ÿ˜›
    ursplfrnd
    Yes . It does. But *Terms and conditions apply !๐Ÿ˜›
    What are those??? By any chance NO POTATOES??? Oops... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    praveenscience
    Same dialogue as everyone says. Do yoga , meditation , regular exercises and blah blah !
  • Mehakrajkhokar
    Mehakrajkhokar
    I am not very fond of tea.. But I do take a cup in the morning.... ๐Ÿ˜› Well.. There's this "Iced tea" that I love a lot.... It's sooo refreshing....๐Ÿ˜€.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    Take heart. YES, Potatoes!!

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I like Tea! I used to have a cup daily in the evening ๐Ÿ˜€
    It refreshes me a lot...I used to taste different flavors ginger, chocolate, cardamom, black and many more....
    Thanks Sahiti... Have to test drive Ooty Chocolate Tea... My long time desire... Will buy today... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    praveenscience
    Thanks Sahiti... Have to test drive Ooty Chocolate Tea... My long time desire... Will buy today... ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yeah, you have to...Ooty's Tea Powders are Awesome! Try all the flavors there.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    sahithi pallavi
    Yeah, you have to...Ooty's Tea Powders are Awesome! Try all the flavors there.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Well... In Chennai, I have to search for Ooty Chocolate Tea packs!!! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I used to drink Tea in morning only and now sometimes in evening but its not habit for me. yeah sometimes it boosts the working efficiency. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    godfather
    I used to drink Tea in morning only and now sometimes in evening but its not habit for me. yeah sometimes it boosts the working efficiency. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Not as good as caffeine right??? One big gulp of espresso or cappuchino and you are done with!!! Full ultimate energy!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I drink lots of Green Tea.
    Many things have been said about Green Tea. It's said that it has many properties which aid in anti-aging, weight reduction, being active and all..
    I dunno about all that, but I like Green Tea. So, I have it once or twice daily..
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Personally I enjoy drinking the occasional cup but not an addict and can go through a day without drinking a sip. Personal favourites are Twinings and Makaibari. Dilmah too is good.
    The variety I have stacked up right now includes:
    • A few specimen of different green teas
    • Herbal infusion, ginger and lemon
    • Assam black
    • Darjeeling Tea
    • Earl Grey
    • Jasmine White Tea
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It may be better to avoid boiling tea leaves in a mixture of milk and water. This will extract more of the tannins.

Two interesting (contradictory?) sites:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
  • Girnar
    Girnar
    Good tea tip! Look out for more tea tips on - #-Link-Snipped-# hope u like them too
    Some Country Level Facts!

China:

China is the birthplace of tea and gives to us some of the finest varieties of white and green teas. Although China is the origin of tea, surprisingly, it is not the world's largest overall producer of tea.

Japan:

Japanese tea like "sencha" and "gyokuro" are one of the most popular and favorite varieties. Japan has an interesting tea culture worth exploring, and tea worth trying.

India:

You may not know it, but Indian tea is the world's most consumed tea! It is also the world's largest tea producer, with an estimated 850,000 tons of tea being processed each year! A very common type of tea is Indian black tea, like Assam tea, and Darjeeling tea.
    Top Ten Tea Facts!

Tea has been around for centuries and is the second most-consumed beverage in the world, after water, with literally thousands of varieties in existance. Nowadays we seem to be finding more reasons to drink tea every day, whether it be black, white, green, herbal, Chinese or any other type. The anti-oxidising and cleansing abilities of the tea leaf make for a healthy choice, so say the scientists, but what else is tea good for?

Here are 10 facts that you might not have previously known about tea.

1. The origins of tea:
    Legend has it that tea originated well over 5000 years ago in ancient China. The innovative and science-curious emporer Shen Nung insisted that for hygeine purposes, all water in the palace must be boiled. When he was out visiting his kingdom one day, him and his men stopped to boil water to drink and it was said that leaves from a nearby bush fell into the water. Apparently the brew that resulted was so refreshing, the emporer ordered samples of the bush to be brought back to the palace for analysis. Afterwards, word got out and this new phenomenon became fashionable.

2. From the Camellia bush:
    Both black and green teas are made from the Camellia sinensis bush and have similar quantities of antioxidants and caffeine.

3. Antioxidant:
    Tea contains catechins, a type of antioxidant which has been found to reduce people's risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Catechins can also be found in cocoa and dark chocolate.

Santosh Katiyar, associate professor of dermatology at the University of Alabama in Birmingham found that the antioxidant also known as epigallocatechin-3-gallate can protect the skin from harmful UV rays.

4. Vitamins and minerals:
    When combined with milk, tea can offer an array of vitamins and minerals including calcium, vitamin B6, Riboflavin B2, Thiamin B1, manganese for bone growth and repair, and potassium, important for neuron and brain function.

5. Puffy eyes and sunburn:
    Teabags can be used to reduce the swelling of puffy eyes. Lie on your back and place a moist teabag over both eyes and leave on for around 20 minutes, this leaves your eyes feeling fresher, brighter, and looking revitalised. Also, a wet teabag can be used to soothe burns and sunburn. By either placing the teabag straight onto the burn or pouring tea into cool bathwater, it has been known to take away the burn's sting and help the skin heal faster.

6. Tea reduces risk of heart attacks:
    Research conducted in the Netherlands suggests that tea can help people avoid heart attacks, especially women. Johanna M Geleijnse, PhD from the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam led a study which followed 4807 Dutch adults over the age of 55 who had no heart problems in their previous medical history.

After 5 years it was found that the volunteers who drank 375ml of black tea per day had a 43% reduction in the risk of having a heart attack and a 70% reduced risk of having a fatal attack.

Johanna commented on the team's findings: "We observed a strong inverse relation between tea intake and incident myocardial infarction(heart attack), and the relation was stronger in women than in men. Our findings suggest a protective effect of tea and flavonoid intakes against MI."

7. Odour absorbant:
    It has been found that tea can work as an odour absorbant, removing bad smells especially from your skin. Pouring a cup over your hands is said to work wonders for all kinds of bad odours!

8. Warts and all:
    Tea can be used to treat warts as the tannin present in tea is acidic. This element makes tea as effective at removing warts as creams and ointments. Leaving a moist teabag on the wart for 15 minutes, 3 times per day, will cause the wart to shrink and disappear.

9. Caffeine:
    The caffeine content of tea is approximately half of the amount that you'd find in a cup of brewed coffee. Whereas coffee provides around 100mg per 190ml cup, tea provides just 50mg, leaving you without the caffeine "drop" so familiar to coffee drinkers.

10. Oral Health:
    A report issued by the UK Tea Council in 2006 stated that the fluoride content of tea makes it a potent defender of oral health. Fluoride binds to the tooth enamel, slowing down the tooth decay process and preventing cavities. Also, the instance of tannins in tea inhibits the growth of certain plaque-forming bacteria.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    No tea for me,please!๐Ÿ˜›

๐Ÿ˜,Lots of tea lovers here,anyone who doesn't like tea on daily basis?๐Ÿ˜
    I became a tea lover just recently! ๐Ÿ˜› What say Whats in Name?
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Good,so was it just "tried and like" experience or something else?๐Ÿ˜›

I know one thing,I can't be a tea lover(atleast on daily basis).๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    i love tea. infact even at 46 degree Celsius, i would prefer tea rather than a cold drink. it is a good appetizer. i have 2 to 3 cups everyday. doesn't feel like day has started without tea.i just want a reason to have tea.๐Ÿ˜›
    I am not a daily tea lover too... I love tea, like ice creams... That's all! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    and yes. i love tea "elaychi maarke" in summer and " kadak adrak wali" in winter and rainy seasons.
    shubhankar
    and yes. i love tea "elaychi maarke" in summer and " kadak adrak wali" in winter and rainy seasons.
    How much do these cost and where are they available?
  • MegaByte
    MegaByte
    praveenscience
    How much do these cost and where are they available?
    These can be made at home using any kind of tea powder by just adding elaychi (Cardamom) or adrak (Ginger) to it. ๐Ÿ˜
    MegaByte
    These can be made at home using any kind of tea powder by just adding elaychi (Cardamom) or adrak (Ginger) to it. ๐Ÿ˜
    Woah! Techie terms baffle me! Yeah, then I am an addict of Ginger tea!!! ๐Ÿ˜› I don't like Elaichi! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • sachleen
    sachleen
    yah.....me toooo luv Tea....specially during Exam time....i used to take 3-4 cups of tea in a day.....it refreshes our mind....
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    actually ginger is good in winters. gives soothing effect to the throat ๐Ÿ˜€
    shubhankar
    actually ginger is good in winters. gives soothing effect to the throat ๐Ÿ˜€
    They remove sore throat! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    Yeah! i like ginger tea, mostly during winter.Because cold winter makes me lazy. ๐Ÿ˜”
    So, its much helpful to make me feel fresh and warm.
  • Mannu.
    Mannu.
    I love tea and take three to four times in a day.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of Conceptual Designs in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas here......
Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of ER Model to Relational Mapping in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute...
Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of Storage Structures in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas here......
MySQL Developer Essentials with PHP, Java and .NET in JavaOne & Oracle Develop Conference 2011 to be held in Hyderabad in the month of Mayโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ. The presentation will provide an...
I need an interesting seminar topic in computer science or engineering to talk about it for college students, does anyone have any idea? I'd be so glad if someone could...