CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Akanksha Gupta • 27 Aug, 2014
TCS interviews are being conducted and i m a chemical engineer but i want to go for it please help me out how should i prepare for it
@avii • 30 Aug, 2014 It's for a software engineering post, I assume. So what kind of help are you looking?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 30 Aug, 2014 TCS does recruit engineers from variety of engineering branches; but I'm not sure about Chemical engineers. Have you filled up the nextstep application form?
@Akanksha Gupta • 31 Aug, 2014 actually i want help in entrance exam of TCS which happens generally in college the aptitude one ...........tips for that what part to focus more or less about that
@Akanksha Gupta • 31 Aug, 2014 thank you so much this will be a great help 👍👍👍👍
@Akanksha Gupta • 01 Sep, 2014 no i haven't filled up next step application form . plz help me in that too
@Ankita Katdare • 01 Sep, 2014 Sure. Fill up the form and ask any questions you may have here.
Akanksha Gupta
no i haven't filled up next step application form . plz help me in that too
@Akanksha Gupta • 01 Sep, 2014 but nextstep site is too busy sort of errors are coming
@Akanksha Gupta • 01 Sep, 2014 please help me if i could sign through any other way
@Neda Hashmi • 23 Sep, 2014 In my college, TCS din't allowed student from Chemical Engg Dept to sit in the test.
@Shashank Moghe • 23 Sep, 2014 This sounds very stupid. But TCS got me reading and since this is a chemical engg backdrop, Why does Technetium form a disulphide and not a sulphide?

Why TcS2 and not TcS?

Valency of Tc = 2
Valency of S = 6

If I were a TCS panelist, I would ask this to a Chemical Engineer 😀
@Neda Hashmi • 25 Sep, 2014 • 1 like
Shashank Moghe
This sounds very stupid. But TCS got me reading and since this is a chemical engg backdrop, Why does Technetium form a disulphide and not a sulphide?

Why TcS2 and not TcS?

Valency of Tc = 2
Valency of S = 6

If I were a TCS panelist, I would ask this to a Chemical Engineer 😀
Well thats because sulphur shows variable valencies and the oxidation state in which S combine with Tc is 4.
So, am I hired?? 😎😎
@Shashank Moghe • 25 Sep, 2014
Neda Hashmi
Well thats because sulphur shows variable valencies and the oxidation state in which S combine with Tc is 4.
So, am I hired?? 😎😎
Yes of course you are 😀 One thing is still not clear to me. How is the covalent bond formed with a valency of 4 ? With two S atoms and one Tc atom?
@Neda Hashmi • 28 Sep, 2014 • 1 like
Shashank Moghe
Yes of course you are 😀 One thing is still not clear to me. How is the covalent bond formed with a valency of 4 ? With two S atoms and one Tc atom?
You intrigued me. I did some research on Tc and found out that along with S, Tc also shows variable valencies.
Now, we have two possibilities of structure of TcS2,
1) If S is saturated, and Tc shows valency of 2, it can form cross-linked structure.
2) Second possibility is that both have the valency of 4 and are linked by double bond on each side.
I am not sure though. I simply did my chemistry. but the reason behind the structure is valency only.
@Shashank Moghe • 28 Sep, 2014
Neda Hashmi
You intrigued me. I did some research on Tc and found out that along with S, Tc also shows variable valencies.
Now, we have two possibilities of structure of TcS2,
1) If S is saturated, and Tc shows valency of 2, it can form cross-linked structure.
2) Second possibility is that both have the valency of 4 and are linked by double bond on each side.
I am not sure though. I simply did my chemistry. but the reason behind the structure is valency only.

Well, I have always been very poor at chemistry. So both the solutions sound fair to me. Good job though 😀
@Void Runner • 06 Oct, 2014 @Shashank Moghe : The real reason is thermodynamics. If you are a chemical engineer, get to the chemical engineering thermodynamics of all possibilities of chemical compound formation. The most common structure is not the only structure, but the most thermodynamically favourable one (i.e. most spontaneous).
@Shashank Moghe • 06 Oct, 2014 Im not a CE but a ME and thermo is my favorite. Unfortunately, I could not get the enthalpies of formation for both these compounds.

Even so, as you must know, thermochemistry gives you the energies involved, and not the reason behind those quantum. You cannot always find the cause from the effect. Hence my question.
@Void Runner • 07 Oct, 2014 @Shashank Moghe : The real reason actually has to do with a combination of stereochemistry, quantum and statistical mechanics. If you do an energy level by energy level analysis of the overlaps involved in the compound formations you will find a more stable configuration in the one that is most commonly found. It will be difficult for me to explain without going into some hardcore theoretical chemistry but that's how you try to explain why a compound forms the way it does.
@Shashank Moghe • 07 Oct, 2014 That would be interesting to know, but I am sure would be fairly a bouncer. We used to use Chemkin for combustion analysis study in Grad school. The sheer number of chemical reactions blew my mind. Of the 4th order! Never realized there were so many intermediate steps to a global reaction 😁
3.7k views

Related Posts

@vrmanime · Jul 23, 2009

I would like do a mini projects in robotics with low cost... Can any one suggest me....
8.5k views

@Ankita Katdare · May 20, 2015

A lot of discussions have happened over the salary of TCS freshers. A Twitter follower asked me to discuss the question of what are the salary packages in TCS for...
68.9k views

@Sahithi Pallavi · Nov 16, 2009

Today my sir asked this question in the class..! No one gave the correct answer for this question..! What is the need to use Virtual Memory ? Why dont we...
4k views

@ashok98107 · Aug 5, 2012

i want to trace my wife having mobile number my business in delhi and my wife lives in mahenderagarh (haryana)
8.4k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Jul 12, 2011

B.E/B.TECH DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2011 Six Semester COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CS 2029- ADVANCED DATABASE TECHNOLOGY (Regulation 2008) Time:Three hours maximum: 100 marks Answer ALL questions PART-A(10*2=20 marks) 1. what...
3.5k views