Synthesis of novel nanoparticles and their utilisation in solar heating of water

Project Abstract / Summary : The central idea of this abstract involves synthesis of novel nanoparticles that can be utilised for solar heating of water. When the nanoparticle solution is irradiated by sunlight, small bubbles of steam emerge from the solution. Individual nanoparticles act as efficient absorbers of light, heat up, and transfer energy to the surrounding water. The thin shell of water that is in direct contact with the nanoparticle rapidly heats above its boiling point and transforms into steam. Under continued illumination, the vapour volume increases, the nano-bubble eventually moves to the liquid-air interface when the vapour is released and the nanoparticles revert back to the solution. Once the steam shell reaches a thickness of several hundred nanometres, the weight of the steam/nanoparticle assembly becomes less than that of an equivalent volume of water and, as a consequence, it buoys toward the surface. Finally, the steam bubble annihilates at the surface and steam escapes from the water leading to generation of steam without the entire bulk of water reaching its boiling point.
However, my area of focus shall be conserving the steam bubbles in the nanoparticles (NP) solution instead of allowing the nano-bubbles to annihilate at the liquid-air interface, thereby resulting in increase in temperature by preserving the heat energy within the NPs solution which can be transferred to the surrounding area. A setup shall be designed to study the solar heating of water using NPs solution and determine the efficiency of different NPs in solar heating of water. The optical and thermal properties of these nanofluids shall be further investigated.
Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR), a prominent spectroscopic phenomenon of nanoparticles, and the condition which is met in the Near Infrared Region or IR-visible Wavelength region for air/metal and water/metal interfaces, shall enable the utilisation of broadband light-absorbing nanoparticles for solar steam generation. The metal particles showing SPR that can be used are: Gold, Silver, and Copper. In addition to the nanoparticle solution of these metals, carbon nanoparticles can also be used for the same purpose. The synthesis of nanoparticles shall be done by using the wet-chemical method. Then for the purpose of characterisation, the various techniques to be used include: XRD (phase analysis), FESEM and TEM (morphology), UV spectroscopy (absorption/SPR), DLS (particle size analyser), BET (surface area) and FTIR. After the synthesis and characterisation of NPs, they will be used in the setup designed for the purpose of solar heating of water.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : I chose to work on this topic because the efficient use of renewable sources of energy are the need of the time and utilisation of novel nanoparticles for solar heating purposes can be a promisingly efficient source of energy for our future. The sun is probably the most important source of renewable energy available today. More energy from the sun falls on the earth in one hour compared to consumption by everyone in the world in one year. However, judicious worldwide use of the solar energy yet needs to be established. Harnessing solar energy has recently gained attention in the field of nanotechnology. Many research efforts have been established towards the use of solar energy in evolving nanotechnologies such as solar heating, solar photovoltaics, solar thermal energy, solar architecture and artificial photosynthesis. The potential of solar energy is well-known to the researchers but new methodologies still need to be invented and new technologies still need to be implemented for efficient utilisation of solar energy. The use of nanoparticles solution for the purpose of solar heating is a recent topic and not much work has been done in this field. This keeps me motivated in trying the experiments that have not been done by many researchers and follow the path less taken. I shall continue with my work with a hope and desire to come up with some results that will ensure successful utilisation of nanoparticles solution in solar heating applications that can take use of renewable energy to a higher level.

Project Category : Chemical / Metallurgy
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
City: Rourkela
State: Odisha
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With a new phone, tablet or a laptop launching every other day worldwide, we often wonder whether we are actually moving forward in the terms of technology or are we...
Creating a pancake with your favorite design on it just got easier. Meet PancakeBot- a system designed by Miguel Velenzuela that lets you enjoy pancake with your creativity in it....
I was wondering if I really need to sign a cancelled cheque whenever submitting it to authorities who require it. The answer is 'NO'. The modern cheques issued by the...
Techkriti is an annual inter-college Technology and Entrepreneurship festival organized by the students of IIT Kanpur. This year the flagship event will be organized on 19-22 March. CrazyEngineers is proud...
Twistofy, founded by Neha Shah, is India's first creativity platform focused on Creative Curation (Discovering Creativity), DIY Workshops (Rekindling Creativity) and Customized Gifting Solutions (Unleasing Creativity). Twistofy offers various services...