Symbian OS IS NOT Dead !

Alright, it is dead at this moment. As iOS & Android took over Symbian, the development for Symbian was stopped & so its tool were also removed officially. However, Delight Custom Firmware developer Fabian, did created backup of the tools & it's been mirrored in MediaFire.
Good news is there's petition to make Symbian OS 'opensource' : #-Link-Snipped-#

Symbian OS Development Tools : My Files
Sign Petition : #-Link-Snipped-#

I hope they make SymbianOS 'opensource', as I honestly feel that it can still compete with all current mobile OSes.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's the point in reviving the operating system when it offers nothing new over the existing modern operating systems? It's like saying let's revive the pagers; because they were good in the 90s.

I know there are hardcore Symbian OS fans; but tell me what problem is it going to solve?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I too support Abhishek.If it was made as a opensource, many developers would try a hand on it and we can get a new interface. I think Symbian has a raw power to face real challenges.@Kaustubh Katdare, please tell us what you see as a problem in symbian and CEans(app developers) may post here whether the development is possible or not?

It is unfair to rule out a good product without further discussion.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's the reason we want it opensourced so that we (opensource + symbian loving developers community) can add the additional features which we want,users want and can make SymbianOS a lot better.

Porting SymbianOS for Android devices can be possible if Nokia/MS opensource it. But again,if it is under MS control, you cannot expect anything good from them.Even If they opensource it, they will have some custom licensing and not GPL or BSD.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Brian Dye, VP of Information Security at Symantec has acknowledged that the antivirus software is dead. He said that the antivirus doesn't make money anymore and Symantec is now exploring...
Quote: The shot-peening process has long been known to improve the fatigue life of bearings and shafts, and the bending strength of gear teeth. Now it’s used to increase the...
LG India has launched the LG L90 Dual smartphone in the country for Rs. 17,999 and it is available on Flipkart at a discounted price of Rs. 16,745. The phone...
Quote: With IPv6, the Internet is positioned for the future, where connected devices are not just computers, but also machines (sensors, actuators, controllers) interacting directly with other machines, without human...
Hello Guys, I just want you to suggest a project topic in structural engineeing. I am currently pursuing my dual degree in civil (structural engineering).