Switching from manual testing to development profile

Hi Kaustabh,
I am ECE, 2015 passed out. Currently working as a manual tester. I have told my manager several times, that i want to move to development. Today, he called me and gave me the opportunity to move to development. But the problem is:
1. I work on a software which is coded on a proprietary language owned by my company. so basically it doesn't have any scope outside of my company.
2. I told my manager to better move me into other team, as a developer, but there is very little scope for that. i guess he is not willing to do that.
3. Should i wait for some more time, and then move into automation/performance testing, in my company only.
I am very confused what to do. I am not much expert in coding. But i am a quick learner, and can learn it very soon. PLease guide me as soon as possible.

Thanks

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess that's a pretty common situation and I've seen it happen so many times with my ex-colleagues. If you want to switch to development; you SHOULD develop a skills-set on your own. If you haven't done that - you need to check and figure out whether you really want to switch to development. It could be very daunting for anyone from manual testing background.

Rule: Learn and master a few tools and one or two programming languages!

If I were you, I'd pick up the programming language or domain that another project in my existing company is working on. That way - it'd improve my chances of moving to that project. In your case, you are demanding to move to a project without any coding experience - and your manager will have no motivation to move you to new project.

You haven't mentioned whether you wish to continue with the same company for long time. If yes; you need to talk to the developers who are working on the proprietary language and discuss how they plan to move out. Lot of good things can come out of that discussion. It's too difficult to advice because we don't know about the language.

The action path I'd suggest is that you should pick up your domain - Java, .Net, Ruby, Python, Perl or whatever you think you'll have more opportunities in and BECOME AN EXPERT! Build a portfolio of your own projects and impress your next recruiter.

It's usually difficult to move from testing background to development; but not impossible. You just need to put in more efforts.

I hope this helps. All the best!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My knowledge of database systems is pretty limited but in the past week; all the web pages I've read seem to indicate that noSQL databases are tad faster than relational...
I've scored 83.76% in mba cet which are the best colleges for which I should apply in the cap rounds
Hello all, I have just completed my engineering and I am hired in TCS. I have given BIPM stream in my present ilp aspire course. So, could any body suggest...
Hi friends, I bought my new redmi note 3 and the first big game i wanted was fifa but fifa15 & fifa 16 were online dependant hence i opted for...
Hi guys.. I am having a hard time thinking, what would be the possible topics/proposals related to electronics about our theme "Techno-Green: Engineering a Better life towards Environmental Sustainability"? Thank...