"Your favorite color is blue!";
  break;
case 
"green":
  echo 
"Your favorite color is green!";
  break;
?>
1)What "break" does is exits the case and brings to the end of switch case,I have omitted "break" from case "red"..So it comes to case "blue" but it should only enter case "blue" when it is true(which is not,right now),right?,then why my output is like this-

Output::
Your favorite color is red!Your favorite color is blue!

2)When I shifted default after case "red" and omitted break from case "red" it was executing default too!(Why?),but when I shifted default at the top of the block it was not executing.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Switch logic will continue to execute after finding its match, until it finds a break; statement.
    and logically default case should be last case.I don't know PHP but in java it should throw a compile error.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Well well Switch Cases!!😕.
    Let's see your doubts one by one:

but it should only enter case "blue" when it is true(which is not,right now),right?,then why my output is like this-

Output::
    Your favorite color is red!Your favorite color is blue!
    The fact is : If you remove break statement, it will execute all statements, after a matching condition unless it faces a break statement.
    So it will enter case blue without checking, and continue this behavior unless it sees a break.

When I shifted default after case "red" and omitted break from case "red" it was executing default too!(Why?),but when I shifted default at the top of the block it was not executing.
    Now as we know default only executes after all cases have failed, so it doesnot execute at the top (since some other case matches),but when you place it under "red" it executes due to the reason of your first question (ie no break present).
    And one more thing, u didn't closed (ie.}) your switch in the code u pasted, so ideally it should give an error😉 .
    Hope this answers your doubts!!👍
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Okay,so the thing is-after matching condition it continues until it finds a "break".
    Thanks a lot for the answers, both of you and thanks for the detailed explanation #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This review is dedicated to Sendy - the best email marketing software I accidentally found on the Internet and have been using for several weeks now. Sendy is self-hosted email...
Here's a simple puzzle I stumbled upon and I'm quite sure that the majority of the engineers, who're supposed to be strong at basic mathematics (and logic and reasoning) won't...
Anyone knows, what are the common low power applications of dc to dc converters in communication sector ?
Anyone knows different types of hall effect sensors available for current measurement ?
Hello Friends, If my device is using MAC Address is it compulsory to purchase MAC address or I can use any MAC address for commercial use?