Swiggy Stores Vs. Dunzo Vs. Big Basket - The Game is On!

Swiggy Stores has been announced and the food delivery game's just got more interesting. Swiggy said that their delivery boys will now deliver not only food from restaurants, but also anything from offline stores - and within an hour of placing order. 

That means, you can now order your Kirana, groceries, flowers, vegetables and even Meetha -Masala Paan from nearby offline stores. Do you see - the food delivery game is now bigger and now a 'deliver anything' on demand game. 

As of now, the service is only available in Gurugram and Swiggy has onboarded about 3500 stores from the region. 

With this move, Swiggy's upped its game and is now going head-on with the likes of Dunzo, Big Basket and several others!

Swiggy Vs. Dunzo Vs. Big Basket

Dunzo has been doing what Swiggy aims to do for some time. It's a Google backed company that operates in limited cities as of now. 

Big Basket has been trying to capture the online grocery and vegetables market and has done it quite well in several cities across India. 

The big problem with Big Basket is that the order takes lot of time to arrive. You are given a choice to pick up the delivery slot; and often it takes several hours before the order arrives at your place. 

I think Swiggy will challenge that by promising faster deliveries. It all makes sense in metro cities where people are busier than ever and won't mind paying extra for convenience. 

Swiggy Vs. Zomato

Swiggy and Zomato have been the biggest rivals in the game but Swiggy seems to be moving forward faster. Zomato is likely to follow; which means other rivals like UberEats will have to do something about it as well. 

I however wonder if this model will be replicable in cities other than metros. In tire II and tire III cities, I still see people preferring to save more over convenience. 

What do you think about Swiggy Stores. Would you pay a little more to get things from your grocery store? 

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Are Offline Stores Losing Their Identity?

The offline-store delivery model is likely to hurt businesses and get into unnecessary competition. For example, as of now; most of the offline delivery stores - Kirana shops, pharmacys have their own loyal customer base. But Swiggy changes that.

By removing the need to go to the shop to buy items; you can now simply search through the app and place your order. This perhaps leaves the choice of selecting store to Swiggy's algorithms and NOT to the consumer. 

I wonder if this move, in the longer term will make the offline stores lose their identity. You will no longer have to visit 'Babu Kirana Shop' to get things. Swiggy and others will deliver it from the shops of their choice. 

I wonder if it's good or bad for the Kirana shops. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to show latest rate of construction material on my site like  buildkar or indiamart
I have completed my btech in information technology and completed my b.ed also can I able to write trb, tet and CTET exam plz reply me
I just wish every electrical / electronics engineer and even the students gets introduced to Electric Charge and concept of electricity this way -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZuSZYVBngAin't that awesome, folks?