Supermarket generates piezoelectric power in parking lot

Shoppers cars will soon be able to power supermarkets | Daily Mail Online
Remember that #-Link-Snipped-# we saw late last year? Looks like someone (besides us) thought it was a good idea. According to The Daily Mail, a Sainsbury's supermarket in Gloucester, UK (you've never been there), has installed kinetic plates in the parking lot that use the weight of shopper's cars to pump a series of hydraulic pipes, which in turn drive a generator. The system is said to generate up to 30kw of green energy an hour -- or enough to power the store's checkouts. And if that weren't enough, the store is also harvesting rainwater and heating it (during the summer, at least) with solar panels. The next in this store's "eco-friendly evolution?" Might we suggest Soylent in the deli? We hear the "green" stuff is particularly good.

[Via Vehicles run over road plates to power Sainsbury’s supermarket -]​
Filed under: #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-# originally appeared on Engadget | Technology News & Reviews on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:46:00 EST. Please see our #-Link-Snipped-#.

Shoppers cars will soon be able to power supermarkets | Daily Mail Online | #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    WHOA! Amazing stuff! Utilizing piezoelectric or a kinetic system on the road seems practical after all. I mean, 30KW an hour?

Also from the article:
    Apart from this green feature, the store is capable of harvest enough rainwater for flushing toilets over two years. While the solar panels heat water during the summer.
    Nice 😀

Though, I wonder what is the total cost for this? Can these systems be implemented easily else where? We have talked so much about these things on CE, yet we havent thought about the practicalities of implementing them in real life.

I hope we get to see more technical information about Sainsbury's green system.
  • dextercath96
    dextercath96
    Solar Power Generator in parking lot.

Nice Solar Power Generator in parking lot. It is cool. I want to have some product like that. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Wow! That's amazing.
  • vikeshrajan
    vikeshrajan
    nice idea.........what about the cost?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi.........i wanted to know what are the devices that can be interfaced to the parallel port controler of pc and can be controlled using matlab...... Please help.
I am in final year of engineering and need help in preparing a resume for campus interview. I have been doing a lot of research online. Came across a collection...
Hi evrybody.... I am an elecronics student,second yearite from Goa. 😁
hello ,Actually I was installing MySQL 5.0 on my laptop . But the Instance Configuration Screen I receive the error 'Could not start the service MySQL5.Error:0" I have uninstalled and...
Hey folks, here are the winners of the CE Awesome Thread Contest! :clap: Announcements & Article Discussions CEan Kashish0711 for Time Travel - Making Dream A Reality Report on Time...