supercharger or turbocharger

why some cars use a turbocharger while few others use a supercharger what is the basic difference b/w the two and which one is more powerful ?

Replies

• SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    Both Superchargers and turbochargers are forced induction systems
    the basic difference is that these chargers (which is being used to compress the air) gets its power in different way
    superchargers uses belt which are directly connected to engine
    turbochargers gets its power from exhaust waste in which exhaust is made to strike on a turbine blades and thereby causing motion and power.
    Turbochargers gives less power while superchargers gives more power but high cost of installation.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    well, the case is that superchargers are pecking on the engine power and give a far higher boost and are not that much costly whereas turbos work on exhaust gases and give a comparitively lower boost and are quite expensive cuz of the quality of blades needed in their turbines to manage the chemical and physical effects from the hot exhaust gases. Petrol engines usually dont use these because of knocking, however, racing cars and some modified vehicles use it. Diesel engines usually go with the turbo.
  • venkatking.v
    venkatking.v
    both turbo charges and super charges are extract power from only motion. Why didn't consider about heat of exhaust gas ?..is there any possible to utilize the heat of exhaust gas? 😒
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    well.. that could be done.. but it does the same work as that of a pre compressor. When compressed, the temperature of the gas increases and allows a better fuel:air mix. Taking the heat of the exhaust gas would require extra fittings and provided the space in todays' cars..i guess that it should not be that easy. these systems are in place in powerplants though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wish to know about kVA and kW difference and how to convert hp to kva/kW. Is there any calculator available for these conversions?
I am a mechanical engineer and I want someone among you to explain me the term entropy and relate it to enthalpy. Why and how is it used? I want...
kedar637
Hi, I want some ideas about my final year project topic.
name: madhu lacation:ahmedabad engineering trade:computer engineering hobbies:singing,reading😀 i join ce because i m also a crazy engineer😛