Summer Internships For Engineers : The Definitive Guide

Summer internship has become an integral part of every engineering student's life. The summer vacation has began and a lot of engineering students in India and all over the world must be busy searching for summer internships in their favorite companies. At CrazyEngineers, we've began receiving queries, questions and doubts about summer internships; and the questions are mostly the same. I thought of writing a definitive guide to address all the most commonly asked questions about summer internships for engineering students. I hope the following guide will be useful to all our fellow members and guest readers. The purpose of this guide is to bring in clarity and focus to Internships and make sure that you get all the help required to get the internship of your choice. Let's get started.

Summer Internships / Summer Jobs : An Overview

You might be willing to take up summer internship on your own or might be forced by your curriculum to take up a job during your summer vacations. The reason could be anything; but the fact is that summer internships help bridging the gap between academia and the industry. Trust me, this is more important that you'd ever imagine. When I graduated, about a decade ago, I had absolutely no idea what kind of job I'll be expected to do in the industry. All I knew was the theory that I had tried to make sense of through textbooks and attending classroom lectures and paying attention to the practicals we did in college laboratories.

No one really told me what kind of job my employers will want me to do once I join an organisation. And what I realised after joining the workforce was the kind of work you see yourself doing for your dream company is in reality quite different. As students we are expected to be an 'individual performer' and when you're in an organisation; you've to work with a team! There's a big difference in both these approaches. The job you'd do will be dependent on the job done by your colleague and vice versa. In addition, making a computer program run in college lab or getting the desired RPM from your motor is quite different when you're working for a corporation. It's something better experienced than imagined.

The point I'm trying to drive home is that summer internships are important if you are serious about your career. If you aren't looking for a summer internship opportunity, you aren't doing it right!

Going forward, I've decided to split the guide into various parts so that you can jump to the part that's most relevant to you. I'll keep updating all the posts.

Important Note: Your questions / feedback / doubts are all welcome via comments below.

Index:

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Awesome!
    Read all the three threads till now, this is very helpful, thank you so much for this !
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# Need to ask something, I've mail id : [ID HIDDEN FOR PRIVACY] , didn't got #-Link-Snipped-# , is that good Id or need to get something which looks more professional (without these numbers)?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those IDs are professional enough. If you want to get rid of numbers, try for Er.Sanyam.Khurana and that'd give your ID an 'attitude'. As long as you aren't using '#-Link-Snipped-#', things should be alright.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In vehicle idling condition it will consume more fule or less fuel
In this part of 'Summer Internships For Engineers: The Definitive Guide', we will look at the sure-shot, proven and 100% result oriented ways of finding your dream internship. Through the...
WeChat the messaging app platform managed by a Chinese company - Tencent, has recently introduced 1 GB of free cloud storage for its users. This means WeChat users will never...
This part of our Summer Internships For Engineers: The Definitive Guide focuses on how to apply for internship when you find your dream one. So far, we've had an overview...
TVS Motors has finally unveiled the TVS Star City+ bike and offered at a price tag of Rs. 44,000 (ex-showroom, Delhi). The Star City Plus has been the much-talked about...