Suggestions for Mechanical Engineering books required

Hi,
Can someone suggest good reference books for the following subjects (Indian and foreign ones included, if available). I went through a few titles of these books, but they didn't seem to explain everything.
The subjects are:
1. Fluid Mechanics
2. Heat and Mass transfer
3. Applied Thermodynamics

Replies

• Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    fundamental of thermodynamics by yunus a cengel
    and michael a boles
  • ironman
    ironman
    Thanks for the recommendation, Ammar!
  • ironman
    ironman
    Any books with regards to fluid mechanics?
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    ironman
    Any books with regards to fluid mechanics?
    Fluid Mechanics by R.K. Bansal.

Try this...๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ironman
    ironman
    Thank you rvsavan68! Does it cover the dynamics part efficiently too?
  • mechky
    mechky
    For Fluid mechanics a very good book to have detailed understanding of the subject is Fluid Mechanics by Cengel & Cimbala. For examination purposes Rk Bansal is appropriate. Another book for examination purpose is Fluid Mechanics by Som & Biswas. It contains problems of higher level than Rk bansal.

For thermodynamics, I never found a good book. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But I have heard that Cengel & Boles is good although I've never read it.
  • ironman
    ironman
    Thank you, mechky. I need it for the purpose of understanding the subject better. I'll check the titles you mentioned.
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    R.S.Khurmi would do better for u. If u are lucky enough u might download eBook on internet by searching. all the best ๐Ÿ‘
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    viky1147
    R.S.Khurmi would do better for u. If u are lucky enough u might download eBook on internet by searching. all the best ๐Ÿ‘
    Link please..?
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    rkvasan68
    Link please..?
    Google it. if i come through my desktop i might help you. Google it you will find it for sure ๐Ÿ˜€
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    rkvasan68
    Link please..?
    Google it. if i come through my desktop i might help you. Google it you will find it for sure ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ironman
    ironman
    Actually i am planning to buy one of these books. Reading on the computer is getting strenuous.
    Thank you viky1147.
  • ironman
    ironman
    rkvasan68, the days of free knowledge are numbered. ๐Ÿ‘€
    And anyway, don't post it here. It's against our forum rules.
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    ironman
    Actually i am planning to buy one of these books. Reading on the computer is getting strenuous.
    Thank you viky1147.
    i was saying to check and buy
  • ironman
    ironman
    Oh, sorry. I didn't read your intentions right. Thank you.๐Ÿ˜€
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    All the best ๐Ÿ‘
  • ashish sharma
    ashish sharma
    1. Fluid Mechanics- R.K.Bansal
    2. Heat and Mass transfer- D.S.Kumar
    3. Applied Thermodynamics- D.s.Kumar
  • ironman
    ironman
    viky1147
    All the best ๐Ÿ‘
    Thanks buddy!
  • ironman
    ironman
    crazy2390
    1. Fluid Mechanics- R.K.Bansal
    2. Heat and Mass transfer- D.S.Kumar
    3. Applied Thermodynamics- D.s.Kumar
    Thank you, crazy2390! Though i haven't yet been recommended Kumar. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll check it out!!
  • ironman
    ironman
    Is Jagdish Lal's book "Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics with Computer Applications" good?
  • ashish sharma
    ashish sharma
    ya that might be good.
  • ironman
    ironman
    crazy2390
    ya that might be good.
    Thanks crazy2390., now i'll start reading one of these.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Applied thermodynamics by GANESHAN better for interview point of view and for exams.all the best.๐Ÿ‘
  • ironman
    ironman
    N.SACHIN
    Applied thermodynamics by GANESHAN better for interview point of view and for exams.all the best.๐Ÿ‘
    Thanks mate! And welcome to Crazy Engineers!!
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    If you are still interested, do not touch a single book by any Indian author on any of these topics. I've seen em all, the bansals and the ganeshans, and they all suck. Not an overstatement.

For Fluid Mechanics, I always suggest Cengel and Cimbala, since you are a beginner (I assume). You'll probably be offered an India-friendly edition, "adapted" by some Bhattacharaya. Avoid that.

As for heat and mass transfer, you are actually looking for Transfer Phenomena. I suggest a Purdue University book, "Heat and Mass Transfer" by Incropera and Dewitt. Another one is by Lienhard and Lienhard of MIT.

As for Thermodynamics, the topic is simply too vast, and overlaps with every other sub-branch of mechanical engineering. I suggest "Introduction to Thermodynamics with Applications" which seems like it is white paper or a theses. Its full text is available on Scribd. I could not find any author; although you are welcome to try.
  • prashant2404
    prashant2404
    For Fluid mechanics R. K. Bansal is best.
    For thermo R. K. Rajput is good for numerical purpose and Cenjel & Boles is best as per theorotical & conceptual concern
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    R.S khurmi is indeed a good author for thermal engineering. the content provided in it is easy to understand
  • ironman
    ironman
    Gurjap
    If you are still interested, do not touch a single book by any Indian author on any of these topics. I've seen em all, the bansals and the ganeshans, and they all suck. Not an overstatement.

For Fluid Mechanics, I always suggest Cengel and Cimbala, since you are a beginner (I assume). You'll probably be offered an India-friendly edition, "adapted" by some Bhattacharaya. Avoid that.

As for heat and mass transfer, you are actually looking for Transfer Phenomena. I suggest a Purdue University book, "Heat and Mass Transfer" by Incropera and Dewitt. Another one is by Lienhard and Lienhard of MIT.

As for Thermodynamics, the topic is simply too vast, and overlaps with every other sub-branch of mechanical engineering. I suggest "Introduction to Thermodynamics with Applications" which seems like it is white paper or a theses. Its full text is available on Scribd. I could not find any author; although you are welcome to try.

Cengel it is! I am not exactly a beginner. (I can't legally call myself that after completing four years of engineering.)
    When i studied Fluid Mechanics, i could hardly find one book that suited the way i learnt things. I realised i wasn't the only one facing problem with that. So, I just wanted to amass all the good books on Fluids and Heat transfer into a single list so that it is easier for the actual "beginner".

Thanks for the recommendation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

title of this blog has astonished me
Hi Everyone, I still have one semester remaining to finish my second year studies. What Iโ€™m wondering about is what to do over the summer, the reason I choose to...
hey friends,,,,we are organising a COMEDY CHALLENGE in our college .would u plz suggest me any decent name for d event
Greetings CEians, To all engineers around the area of Malaysia, University Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR) from Malaysia is proud to announce that we are hosting the next IEEE STUDENT conference...
Looking at the current scenario, consultancy services are a good options for those who wish to start up. However, you need to be highly experienced in whatever field you choose....