Suggested windowing toolkits

I've been planning to do a little project for a while but I'm not sure about what window tool kit to use. Reckon you guys could suggest a few? Preferably cross platform but not at the expense of ease of use.

Cheers.

Replies

• dks
    dks
    You want toolkit to design UI (user interface) for windows (or cross platform UI application) or just wanted to write console based application for windows (or crosss platform applications)??

Mention your specifications clearly...

Thanks,
    Dks
  • pradypop
    pradypop
    From what I can comprehend out of your mail is that you want to develop a Windows based application. In windows based platforms, you can use Visual stdio and code in VB, VC++,.... On linux platform you can go for QT on KDE, GTK with Glade on GNOME.

If you can make your specs clear, then i can be more precise.
  • pradypop
    pradypop
    Again I assume that by cross-platform you mean an application which works in say linux as well as windows. Well then you have to use VC++ and GTK with lots of pre-processors. You can than compile separately for each platform.

Its as good as writing two entirely different codes but putting them in same file so that the code becomes portable.

And if you want linux binaries to work on windows and vice-versa, than its a huge project which needs a platform which will be developed and installed for both domains separately but same binaries run on both domains over this platform. There are some standard platforms which are available which can do the job.
  • crook
    crook
    Its common to see this on forums. Please mention your requirements in detail so that we understand what you are looking for.

Crrroook
  • pradypop
    pradypop
    Generally it happens on forums or any other place because we just get an idea looking at something but simply dont know where to start from. So we end up querying up in very unclear way. Once we start getting more start-points then things start to fall in place.

It happens to me all the time. Every new project is a jigzaw puzzle where you simply don't know where to start from.

Funny but more you learn, only thing we end up learning is that there is a lot to learn.

For Das the issue was designing a simple GUI. Now its snowballed into VB, VC, GTK, Linux......๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿ˜’

๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Das Bruce
    Das Bruce
    Thanks guys, you're right, I should have given more descriptions.

The language I'm using will be c++ since its the only one I have much confidence with or don't hate with a passion. I've got a copy of vs.net2005 but I prefer to use Code::Blocks since I'm a fan of free/open source software. What I'm trying to actually do is create a file organiser/text editor to make organising and developing mods for #-Link-Snipped-#, which involves a horrendous amount of text file editing.

Thanks again.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Das Bruce
    Thanks guys, you're right, I should have given more descriptions.

The language I'm using will be c++ since its the only one I have much confidence with or don't hate with a passion. I've got a copy of vs.net2005 but I prefer to use Code::Blocks since I'm a fan of free/open source software. What I'm trying to actually do is create a file organiser/text editor to make organising and developing mods for #-Link-Snipped-#, which involves a horrendous amount of text file editing.

Thanks again.
    Did you got your tool kit and completed your project perfectly.

Reply Here,

So we could know that your raised issue is completed or not.

Regards,
    A.Sk...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I am learning JAVA these daz...My teacher is teaching me Applets these daz..Its quite interesting. As I said I found Applets interesting,I was trying to create a web...
Hello CEans! Its a great pleasure to introduce new section for the discussions related to Mechanical Engineering. We have lots of CEans who are Mechanical Engineers and this place is...
Hello CEans! The 'Technical Discussion' section gets a new sub-section - Mechanical Engineering! The new sub-section will host discussion, ideas & questions related to mechanical engineering. I'm sure we have...
How can this topic be left undiscussed in CE...The most important decision of our life...what waz that that made u opt B.Tech..whether it waz ur own decision or maybe ur...
This might be a basic question for the Mechanical Engineers. Can anyone explain how does a pully reduce mechanical effort? Thanks, Rick