suggest me which is better - developer or sqa engineer

Hi all,

I got placed through on campus as software engineer at one of the startup companies with an exploding market (they are basically developing applications for smart phones and are concentrating on games and web designing too). But i don't prefer the location of this company.

Through off campus i got another offer for sqa engineer at one of the top most product development companies (and there is no problem for me with this company's location).

My parents are not that willing to send me out for work. Now my confusion is, "is it worth sacrificing developer position for sqa engineer ?" I knew that there is much preference and reputation for developers rather than sqa's or testers. (as for as the pay is concerned, there is no difference, both are paying the same).

As for as i am concerned, i have confidence on me that i can perform better in anything i take up and do.

I would also like to know your thoughts on this. In case, if i opt for sqa post, then in future, is it possible for me to step into developing side? I have rather decided something and trying to justify that.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SQA in a blend of software testing plus programming (required in automation). It entirely depends on what you are more interested in. In your situation - I think the best choice is to accept the offer with Developer profile and learn about SQA. Things would be in your favor. After about 2 years in the field, you'll know what these fields offer to you. Transition from Developer to SQA would be easier and prove an added advantage to you.

Go with the Developer profile. No second thoughts.
  • lakk
    lakk
    But when it comes to location i want to stay where i am rather than going out. What should i do in that case? I mean should i start as sqa and then change as soon as possible or to reject this and search for other high profile jobs ??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's the decision you should take on your own. When I was faced with similar situation in past, I chose the company which was within the 'walking distance' from my home. I chose it because it enabled me to devote more time for myself, allowed me to save lot of money, upgrade my skill level in spare time and also continue my Guitar class.

In your case, you will have to decide what is more important to you. Think of short term sacrifices and long term gains etc.
  • lakk
    lakk
    Yeah this is what even i am targeting on..Thanks for your suggestions..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All the best, keep us posted. Hope to see you around on CE. 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Panasonic 3G Attracts 9 Million Users In 4 Months - CrazyEngineers Difference Between iPad 2 & Samsung Galaxy Tab - CrazyEngineers National Instruments NIWeek 2011 Highlights - CrazyEngineers Porsche Cayman...
Cambridge Nanotech Makes A Successful Venture - CrazyEngineers ExoPlanetSat Nanosatellite To Begin Its Space Voyage In 2012 - CrazyEngineers Omnio Wow Keys Keyboard - Interface iPhone Or iPod With Desktop...
Hi guys, I'm taking degree in electronic engineering.My project got rejected by my lecturer.Do you guys have any other good project ideas to recommend me?I really need help as the...
Hello, I was just trying to return the address of local variable from function localAddress(). This generally will return the adress of local variable "local" for which memory will be...
i am doing Master of Computer Science. i want current seminar topics related to computer science.😁