Suggest already asked questions while asking new question

There are lots of questions which are repeated or related to previously asked questions .
I would suggest that there a new feature can introduced:
A list of already asked questions/thread will be provided while starting a thread.
It will help users to find problem and solution more effectively.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We were considering this feature long time ago; and even did some trial runs on our older system. It turned out that most of the members were not really used to providing better titles. Most of the people went with "need help", or "hi" - which made the system fail every time. In fact, it ended up generating spam in the existing discussions { Ex. User starts typing 'Hi' in the title and the system suggests a member introduction thread with the keywords 'Hi' - User would end up posting their message, technical question in the introduction thread } 😖

While this isn't immediately on the list; I've believed that this will be useful for existing members. Is there any better approach we cant take than deciding the existing discussions based on the title typed by the user?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:

Alrighty! We've this feature that shows existing threads as soon as a user types the title. Check how it works and let me know if this is a good feature to have. I'm going to observe the user behavior for few days before deciding on whether to continue it or not. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I just checked... its working great just like Google search.
    Hope CEians will get benefit from this feature.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just tried it. This is awesome. A good thing is that it displays threads from all the sub-forums. So even if new members are posting in wrong section, they will be redirected to the right forum.

Here's a screenshot of what these thread suggestions look like -

Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 4.28.57 PM

Just a question - On what basis does it sort threads? Is it by the keyword appearing in thread content or by the date/time posted?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's standard Google site search integrated into our system. So Google determines the results depending upon the keywords entered. Note that it's not an 'instant search' ( I'm not a big fan of instant search anyway). The search results appear only when you enter the title and get into the post compose box.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It'd be really nice if CEans write their feedback here. I've a hunch that this might just reduce creation of new threads 😳.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    This is a welcome feature to Regulars like me
    I have seen this in many forums and they are really helpful

Newbies will take a few threads to realise how it works

Biggie just incorporate this also in the Intro thread which a Newbie sees and also a suitable announcement here in the forums will suffice to all the members

PS: Remove this feature only form Introduction thread or in general the CE HQ it is irrelevant there

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone.. myself Ashima Dhote..currently pursuing my B.Tech(2010-14) from Accurate Institute of Management & Technology,knowledge park,Greater noida,(U.P.) . As per my above mentioned batch of 2010-14, currently I'm in my...
Ubuntu comes with Open Source video driver called Nouveau by default. But being honest, this driver is lacking 3D acceleration, means most of latest games or even some old but...
Hi, I am done with the initial draft of the SOP for my grad school application. Would anyone be willing to evaluate it? If so, please give me your email...
It's Diwali season in India and that means big bucks for all the telecom network operators. Indians get obsessed with sending and forwarding the "Happy Diwali" SMS to each other...
can anyone suggest me the link where i can find and download audios related to space shuttle launch!! i specially need the count down parts during the launch